Part 4 - Christmas Eve 1968

"Where did I put the bloody thing!" Paul muttered under his breath as he flicked through the pile of newspapers and rubbish that cluttered the coffee table in the living room. "I'm sure I put it on here!" He sorted through the pile again, much slower this time, convinced it was still there. "GOT IT!" he exclaimed in delight, pouncing on the Christmas leaflet Lucy has given him the night the carol singers called. He scanned it quickly. "Crib service starts at 10.30pm." He glanced at his watch. It was 8pm. Time to get scrubbed up and presentable. Leaving the leaflet on the table, he headed upstairs to the bathroom.

It was just after 10.15 that Paul slipped out of the house and walked the short distance to the church. He walked in and found a seat at the back, hoping not to be recognized. There were people setting up at the front. He scanned around, hoping to see Lucy. His heart sank. She didn't seem to be there. He hoped she wasn't working instead!

The service began. Paul found the atmosphere calming and was soon singing along with the carols. Lucy's father said some words and then a reading was announced. A woman from the front row stood up and walked to the lectern. Paul found his heart began to pound. It was Lucy!

Her voice rang out clear and confident as she delivered the reading. He watched her. Her hair was now loose, shoulder length and fell in soft curls. She was wearing a pretty dress which although showed off her slim, quite petite figure, wasn't too short to be worn in church. He studied her carefully. She was very pretty and that, combined with her warm personality and generousity of spirit made her very attractive. He couldn't keep his eyes off her!

The reading ended. She looked up at the congregation.

"This is the word of the Lord."

"Thanks be to God." The congregation replied.

Lucy grinned at Paul from the lectern, having spotted him sat at the back. She gave a slight nod to him then headed back to her seat. Paul craned his neck to see where she was sitting. She was right at the front sat between an older woman and a man around her age. Who was he? Paul's heart sank. "Not the boyfriend, please." he muttered to himself.

The rest of the service passed in something of a blur. Paul was totally distracted by thoughts of Lucy. She had got under his skin that was for sure. Finally the service ended and people began to file out. Paul deliberately held back, mainly to catch Lucy but also to avoid being recognized. Then, he saw her walking towards the exit, the young man she'd been sat next to still with her. He headed out. Once at the door he shook hands with Lucy's father as all the congregation had.

"Hello again Paul." He greeted him cheerfully, "Lucy is around somewhere."

"I know. Thanks. Lovely service by the way." Paul spotted Lucy. She was waving to him. Keen to get to her, he waved back then excused himself from her father.

"Hello you!" She greeted him cheerfully and gave him another hug. "Merry Christmas. I'm glad you came tonight! I was hoping you would!"

"So am I. It was lovely!" said Paul smiling at her, "Merry Christmas to you too."

"Come on Lucy!"

She turned to face the young man who was stood with some other people.

"One minute!" she called before turning back to Paul. "We usually go to the church hall for mulled wine and mince pies." She told him, "You're very welcome."

"I would but, to be honest, I'm not in the mood for being recognized." said Paul, already aware that some people were already staring and whispering. "Sorry."