Part 15- 10th February 1969

Walking down the road, on her way home from her night shift, Lucy decided to visit the newsagents and pick up the morning paper for her dad. She stood in the que, glad to be out of the cold. Reaching the counter she reached for her dad's favourite paper but then froze.

"Come on girl!" muttered the man behind her, "Never mind that long haired lout, some of us have work to go to!"

Lucy muttered her apologies, paid for the paper and hurried from the shop. She scanned the headlines, 'Beatle Paul announces he's quitting! The headlines screamed at her. She was deeply shocked. Obviously she had known Paul had agreed to the announcement. She just hadn't expected it to be so soon! Stuffing the paper into her handbag, she headed to the nearest phone box.

"Dad?"

"Lucy, what's wrong?"

"Nothing! I'm heading to Paul's before I come home. I wanted to let you know."

"No problem. I've seen the headlines love."

Lucy hung up, crossed the road and walked the short route to Cavendish Avenue. Turning the corner she hesitated, crowds of reporters and girls stood outside the house. Putting her head down, she hoped her nurse uniform and coat would stop her being recognized.

"That's her!" a voice screeched, "She's the one who made him do it!" From nowhere hordes of girls ran towards her. Lucy held her hand out to protect herself.

"You bitch, you want him all to yourself!" Lucy felt herself being pushed. She stumbled into a garden wall.

"I haven't done anything!" Lucy exclaimed, "Really I haven't! Paul's decided this by himself!"

"That's rubbish! He's not been the same since he met you. He won't even talk to us at the gate anymore!"

Suddenly Lucy was enveloped by the crowd of angry screaming girls who were kicking, pinching and hitting her. The press stood by, watching and taking pictures.

"What the fuck are you doing! MOVE!" A voice boomed over the screams.

The crowd dispersed immediately.

"Paul!" one of the girls shouted.

He ignored her and looked to Lucy who was sat huddled on the floor, her hands over her head, trying to protect herself. He walked over to her, pushing through the remaining girls and helped her up.

"I'm here. Don't worry. You're safe my love." He wrapped his arm around her as she pressed herself as close to him as possible.

"Lucy isn't the reason I decided to quit. OK? I'll tell you why shall I?" Paul looked around angrily, "It's you girls. I never get a minutes peace with you all. I love Lucy OK. Get that into your heads. You have no right to treat anyone in such a way! I love Lucy. She makes me happy and makes me feel good. Did you even think about the harm you could do Lucy by attaching her? She could be pregnant or anything. You can't do this! I've quit because I want a normal life. A family with the girl I love. And you lot," he rounded on the watching press who were still taking pictures and filming Paul as he spoke, "How the hell you can stand there and let these animals attack a helpless woman, I don't get. You're more of a group of fucking wild animals than these damn girls are! Now clear off. Get away from my house. Come near me, Lucy or my home again and you'll regret it! I'll be contacting the police and taking legal action. Now FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU!" With that he lifted the sobbing Lucy into his arms and carried her into the house.

"ROSE! ROSE!"

She came hurrying through as Paul took Lucy into the living room. He settled her on the sofa.