Part 42 - 6th October 1970

"Happy Anniversary Mrs McCartney!" exclaimed Paul, coming into the bedroom carrying a breakfast tray. "Morning my love!"

Lucy sat up in bed and beamed at him. "Good Morning!"

Paul placed the tray on her knees. "I thought you deserved breakfast in bed. The boys are with Rose and your dad. They've taken them to the park. Rose has been beavering away for hours already getting the food sorted for the party."

"That woman is a saint!" said Lucy, "She really is!"

Paul smiled. "I know. You know, your dad seems quite smitten by her."

Lucy grinned back at him. "I know. Rose is the same with him! I think it's lovely! Why shouldn't they be together? It's better than being lonely on your own. I mean look at your dad? He's really happy."

Paul nodded thoughtfully. "I know. But I wasn't very keen on the idea of him getting married again. Not a first. It felt like he was forgetting about mum."

"I know what you mean Paul love. I had a few funny thoughts when dad told me about him and Rose but I am pleased for him. Really I am!"

The couple shared the breakfast then Lucy decided it was time to get up.

"What about your anniversary present?"

Lucy looked at him. "You've got me a present?" she asked excitedly.

"Of course I have!" Paul tutted, "Close your eyes!"

Feeling excited, Lucy closed her eyes. She felt Paul place something on her knee. "Open your eyes."

She opened them then looked down. A large flat package lay on the bed. She looked up at Paul. "What is it?"

"Open it and see!"

Lucy began to undo the shiny paper covering the parcel. Once removed, the gift was wrapped in purple tissue paper. Carefully she pulled it off then gasped. She looked at the gift in her hands and then with eyes filled with tears, she looked back at Paul.

"Do you like it?" he asked worriedly.

"It's stunning!" she whispered through tears, "Absolutely beautiful!"

"You're sure?"

She nodded and looked again at the fine painting of their family now. Herself, Paul and their now almost a year old boys looked back at her. "It's so finely painted and detailed."

"It was done by an artist friend of mine, Klaus Voormann. I've known him for years."

Lucy smiled and then went back to studying the painting. It really was incredibly beautifully done.

Paul smiled at her. "I thought we needed to capture our life after our first year of marriage." He told her softly, "The most amazing year ever...and all because of you!"

Lucy smiled at him. "Thank you. It's beautiful Paul. I love you!"

"Good!" He leaned over and kissed her softly, "Thank you for making me so happy!"

"You're very welcome!" she grinned at him, "Your gift is downstairs."

Paul rubbed his hands in glee. "Then get up woman! I want my pressie!"

Lucy laughed and then gently moved the painting to one side and began to climb out of bed. Now almost six months pregnant, her stomach was large but nowhere near as big as she'd been with the twins. As Paul headed downstairs with the picture and the tray, she showered and dressed before joining him in the kitchen.