Part 48 - 30th September 1971 - Midnight.

Lucy woke suddenly and lay in the dark listening. Something had woken her but she didn't know what. Knowing Mary wasn't making a noise, she got up and tiptoed to the boys room and found that they were still sound asleep. Deciding it was nothing but her imagination, she headed back down the landing to her room. It was then she heard it again - a noise coming from downstairs. Lucy stood at the top of the stairs and listened once more. Convinced she'd definitely heard something for the second time she tiptoed down the stairs and into the hallway....then froze, terrified! She could hear voices in the kitchen – strange voices! She slipped from the hallway into the living room, intending to use the phone there to call her dad and the police. Instead she walked into the full view of two men ransacking the desk. They looked at her.

"FUCK! I thought the house was empty!"

Hostile faces looked at her then one of the men stepped forward and grabbed hold of her arm.

"Please," Lucy whimpered in fear, "Please don't hurt me!"

She found herself frog marched into the kitchen where there were three other men.

"Look what I found!"

The three men turned.

"Well, well!" said one, "If it isn't the little wifey!"

"Paul's upstairs calling the police!" Lucy bluffed.

The man stood with his face close to hers. "Really?" he spat.

She nodded shakily. "They'll be here in a minute. You should leave!"

"LIAR!" He raised his hand and struck her across the face. "Tie her up!"

The man holding her pushed her further into the kitchen. She was forced to sit on a chair and had her hands tied behind her back to the chair.

"Right! Where's the money kept?"

"There's no money in the house, except for what's in my purse." stammered Lucy. "It's on the back of the door!"

She watched as one of the men emptied her purse.

"Twenty quid? That's it? Where's the rest?"

Lucy shook her head. "I don't know."

The man slammed his hand onto the table, close to where Lucy was sat. She jumped.

"Get this woman!" he snarled, "The more you lie, the more chance you have of being hurt. Now, where's the rest of the fucking money?"

"There..there really...really isn't any more in the house. Except maybe a bit of change in the tin in the top cupboard. Over there." The man raised his hand to her face and she tried to cower from him, "Please, I'm telling you the truth!"

"You and that husband must be loaded. There must be more!"

"Not in the house." said Lucy, "Please, I'm telling you the truth!"

"What about other valuables? Jewellery, stuff like that?"

Lucy turned to a different man this time. He seemed much calmer than the first one.

"My jewellery is upstairs. There's a few pieces of silver in the living room. Nothing much else."

"Show me!" He turned to the first man, "Untie her."

Once untied, Lucy was pulled roughly to her feet.

"Show me the jewellery." He pushed her out of the room.

Lucy tiptioed back upstairs without making a sound. She was terrified of waking any of the children in case they could be harmed. She entered the bedroom without turning on the light and approached the dressing table. She picked up her jewellery box and handed it to the man.