Part 30 - 1st October 1969

Lucy lay in her hospital bed pondering on what the doctor had told her and Paul. The thought of two babies was scary but exciting she decided. She closed her eyes, imagining what it would be like trying to look after two newborns. The door opened suddenly, making Lucy open her eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry Lucy." said a midwife coming into the room, "Did I wake you?"

Lucy shook her head. "No, I was just thinking about things. I wasn't asleep. Do you need me?"

"Yes. It's time for your first dose of meds for your blood pressure plus I need to do your observations."

Lucy sat quietly whilst her blood pressure and temperature were checked and her tummy felt. The, after being given a small glass of water and two tablets, she took them.

"All done?" she asked.

The midwife nodded then looked at Lucy concerned. "Are you feeling alright Lucy?" she asked, "You've gone very quiet suddenly."

She shook her head. "I'm feel fine...just a bit...disappointed I suppose."

"Disappointed? Why?"

She grimaced. "Paul and I were supposed to be getting married on Saturday. But since I'm going to be in here for a while, it's not going to happen is it?"

"This Saturday coming? The 6th?"

Lucy nodded. "We're going to have to postpone everything now!"

The midwife looked thoughtful. "Where were you supposed to be getting married?"

"St John's Church," she replied, "My dad's church, why?"

"I have an idea which may mean you can still get married Lucy!"

"Really, what?" Lucy was excited now.

"Well, for a start, you have to stay calm. I'll make some calls then get back to you. Don't give up on that wedding just yet!" She left the room leaving Lucy staring after her in surprise.

Paul returned to see her a few hours later, having gone home to change his clothes and have some sleep. He greeted Lucy cheerfully, and handed her some magazines.

"Rose sent these for you love." He told her, "She thought they might help with the boredom!"

Lucy smiled. "Aww, thank her from me Paul love."

"I will." He leaned in and kissed her. "How are you?"

"Fine. I started the blood pressure medicine earlier. They've checked me and these two over. We're OK."

"Good stuff!"

"Have you spoken to my dad about the wedding yet Paul?"

"I mentioned to him that they want to keep you in and that we have to postpone. I rang my dad too."

"What did her say?"

"Well everyone's disappointed obviously but they're more concerned about you and the babies."

"Did you mention twins to any of them?"

He shook his head. "I thought I'd wait until we've told your dad then I'll tell mine. Just in case the news gets out. Your dad said he'd be here about four o'clock." He glanced at the clock on the wall, "About half an hour. I thought we could tell him then."

She nodded. "So how's you?"

"Me? I'm OK. I've had some sleep and a good shower. Missed you in bed though!" He sat by her on the bed. "Can I snuggle?"