Part 7 - January 4th/5th 1969

Lucy put the finishing touches to her make up then gave her hair a final brush. She smiled at her reflection. Her dress was new. She'd seen it from the bus coming home from the hospital the day before. She'd been so taken by it that she'd got off the bus at the next stop and bought it.

The doorbell rang. Lucy heard her father open the door and greet Paul cheerfully.

"Lucy love." He called, "Paul's here."

Excitement mounting, Lucy picked up a neat little clutch bag and headed down the stairs. Paul was still chatting to her father as she descended. Paul turned and stared at her, open mouthed.

"Lucy! You look stunning sweetheart!" He moved forward and kissed her.

Lucy kissed him back. "Thank you. You look lovely in a suit!"

Paul helped her put her coat on then smiled as she wrapped her Christmas scarf around her neck.

"Ready?"

She nodded. "Bye dad. I don't know how long I'll be but I've got my key."

Daniel nodded. "Bye you two," he called from the door, "Have a lovely evening!"

They got into the waiting car. Lucy was surprised to see that Paul had hired a driver for the evening. He snuggled up to her in the back seat.

"I can focus all my attention on your now we have a driver." He whispered.

Later, holding her hand, he led her into a very expensive looking restaurant. Lucy discretely scanned the room, noting the very expensively dressed people there. The waiter clearly knew Paul and they were lead to a pleasant table for two, close to a dance floor where a live dance band played familiar show tunes.

After ordering their food and drink, Lucy sat opposite Paul, tapping her foot in time to the music. He smiled at her.

"Would you like to dance sweetheart?"

She grinned. "Can you dance?"

He laughed. "I can do something approximating a waltz and not crush your toes. Will that do?"

She nodded, laughing. "Go for it!"

Paul stood up and offered her his hand. Moments later, pressed close together, they twirled around the dance floor. The pace of the music slowed, allowing them to nuzzle closely. Paul kissed her.

"You look incredible tonight Lucy." He whispered, "I'm one very, very lucky man."

"You scrub up pretty well yourself McCartney." Lucy whispered back.

The couple stopped dancing and kissed deeply, oblivious to the people in the restaurant with them. As the music ended they went back to their table. Their food arrived soon afterwards and the two chatted whilst they ate. Then, just after 8pm, they left the restaurant and headed to the theatre. Lucy was buzzing with excitement as they approached the building. Suddenly two men stepped out in front of them and began taking pictures of the couple.

"Who's this Paul?" one of them called.

"What's your name love?" called the other.

Momentarily blinded by the camera flash and being jostled by the reporters, Lucy stumbled and fell.

"Arrgh!"

"Lucy!" Paul exclaimed, leaning down to help her up. "Are you OK? Have you hurt yourself?" He turned angrily to the reporters. "Will you two fuck off! Look what you've done!" He turned his attention back to Lucy. He could see she was near to tears. Her dress was now filthy and her tights shredded revealing cut knees. He helped her to her feet. "How are you feeling Lucy?" he asked anxiously.