Part 26 - July 31st 1969

Yawning widely, Lucy looked at the clock. It was barely 9pm but she was tired out. "I'm going to go up to bed dad," she told him, yawning again, "I can't keep my eyes open these days!"

Daniel smiled at her. "Your mum was just the same when she was expecting you love! It'll soon pass!"

Lucy laughed. "I hope so!" She yawned again. "See you tomorrow dad."

She climbed the stairs, cleaned her teeth and got undressed. Before getting into her nightdress, she did what she did every night. She stood in front of the mirror, her tummy exposed, to examine how much the baby was now showing. There was a very definite bump now! It made Lucy feel very excited and the prospect of a baby all the more real. She whispered good night to her bump then put her nightdress on. Yawning once more, she wondered when Paul would be arriving in London, smiling at the prospect of seeing him again, she climbed into bed and closed her eyes

It was just after 9.30pm that Daniel answered a knock at the door.

"Paul!"

"Hi Daniel. I wondering if I could see Lucy?"

"She's gone to bed Paul...about half an hour or so ago. She'll be asleep by now."

"Oh," Daniel could see how disappointed he was, "She's OK though?"

"She's fine Paul. Just easily tired at the moment, that's all."

Paul nodded. "OK. Erm, could you tell Lucy that I called on the off chance? I just wanted to let her know I was back and looking forward to seeing her."

"I will Paul."

"Right...well, thanks Daniel.

Daniel saw Paul hover uncertainly for a moment.

"Would you like to come in Paul? We can have a drink?"

"Yes...thanks Daniel. But not alcohol...I promised Lucy!"

Lucy threw the covers off. She was so hot! Glancing at her clock, she'd been in bed just over an hour. It was still light outside. She lay down again and tried to settled. She could hear voices downstairs, it sounded like her father had company. She was glad, she wasn't much company for him at the moment, she kept falling asleep! She lay in the twilight of her room, the breeze moving her curtains and tried to sleep. Then she heard footsteps on the stairs and someone going into the bathroom. The toilet flushed and whoever it was washed their hands. She waited to hear their footsteps fade away as they returned downstairs but they didn't. Instead they came up the landing and hovered outside her room.

"Who's there?" called Lucy, feeling scared. "Dad, is that you?"

There was a knock on the door. "Lucy, it's me. Paul."

She shot out of bed and opened the door. He looked fantastic. He'd had a haircut at last and was clean shaven and smartly dressed. Lucy threw her arms around him and hugged him hard.

"What are you doing here!" she asked, "When did you get back?" She pulled him into her room and sat on the bed. "Tell me!"

"I got back about an hour ago. I called round to see you but your dad said you were asleep. Did I wake you?"

She shook her head. "So did dad send you up?"

"No Lucy love! We were having a brew, I needed the bathroom and I couldn't help but just listen in case you were awake. Sorry if I worried you!"

"I'm fine. I just can't believe you're here!" she grinned at him, "You're looking amazing Paul! I barely recognize you from when I left Scotland!"

"Thank you...Lucy, you look radiant!"