Part 60 - 20th August 1972 ( cont'd)

"James! James! It's mummy!' Lucy cried frantically, willing him to open his eyes. "James!" She leaned over him to see if he was breathing. He was! She felt for his pulse...it seemed strong. "Come on baby! Open your eyes!" she pleaded, tears now rolling down her cheeks.

"Is he your son?" asked the woman who had been driving. Lucy could see that how she was shaking. "I'm so, so sorry! He just appeared from nowhere! I tried to stop but I couldn't miss him!"

"We need an ambulance exclaimed Lucy, "Please, go to my house and knock at the back door...there!" She pointed to the house.

Moments later the woman returned with Dot and the other children.

"LUCY!" Dot exclaimed, "What's happened?"

"Why is James on the road mummy?" said a little voice.

Lucy looked up to see Daniel looking at his brother with great concern.

"He isn't feeling very well Daniel. He needs to go to the doctor." She turned to Dot, "Take them back to the house. I don't want them seeing their brother like this!"

Nodding Dot turned and taking the two children with her, Dot headed back towards the house. Daniel was shouting and crying for James but his cries went unheeded.

"Want Daniel." Mumbled a little voice.

"Oh James!" Lucy heaved a sigh of relief as James opened his eyes. "Thank goodness you're awake."

"Want Daniel mummy." He tried to move then cried out. "Mummy! My arm hurts!"

"Shhh...it's OK darling! You've had a little bump. Don't worry."

The little boy tried to sit up again. "Stay lying down James. You need to keep still." He continued to try to move, "I'll lie down with you James sweetheart. Come on, lie down with mummy." The pair lay on the hard tarmac and waited.

The ambulance arrived moments later and was surprised to find a woman and child lying in the road. Lucy sat up. "He's my son! He's only three! He was knocked down!" Her eyes filled with tears. "Help him! Please!"

She watched helplessly as James was stretchered into the ambulance. Lucy got in with him and tried to comfort him.

"My arm hurts so much, mummy!" Tears rolled down his face.

"Can't you give him something for the pain?" Lucy asked the paramedic, "Please!"

The man shook his head. "If he lost consciousness, the policy is no medication until he's been assessed by a doctor. Sorry love."

"When we get to the hospital James, the doctor will give you some magic medicine to stop it hurting. OK darling!" she told the unhappy little boy. "It won't be long now."

Once at the hospital James was whisked off to be examined. Lucy tried to follow him into the examination room but was stopped by a nurse.

"I need to go with him!" she cried, trying to get past her, "Please, he's only baby!"

"No parents allowed in the examination room," said the nurse firmly. She took Lucy by the arm and led her to some chairs on the corridor. "Wait here. We'll come to you once we know the extent of your son's injuries." She was told brusquely and then the nurse walked away. Lucy sat on the hard seat and waited...

"Lucy?"

She looked up and the colour drained from her face. "Paul? How did you know I was here?"