Part 13 - January 30th (cont'd)

Part 13 – January 30th (cont'd)

Ignoring the girls at his gate, Paul pulled into the drive and marched straight into the house. Lucy followed him into the kitchen.

"Rose love, can you go up to the room John used and pack everything up into a case."

"Certainly Paul." She cast a glance at Lucy who shrugged, "Is Mr Lennon no longer staying?"

"No!" He answer was short. "Arrange for a courier to shift it all to the London Hilton. I want it all out of this house TODAY!"

"Yes Paul." Rose hurried from the room.

"Paul love," Lucy began. "What's happened?"

"I've told John I don't want him and Yoko here anymore."

"I guessed that much but are you going to tell me why?"

Paul turned to her and gave her a sad smile. "You saw what it was like today. You must have felt the tension?"

She nodded. "I did but why this?"

"I can't live like that anymore Lucy. It's over. I'm quitting the band."

"NO!"

"Lucy I can't do it anymore and then John today, he went too far."

"Was this when you went back inside? When I was in the car?"

He nodded.

"So what happened?"

"Whilst we were eating, the whole time he was bitching about you love." He shook his head, "Slagging me off I can just about cope with, Yoko interfering with the music I can ignore, but not someone being nasty about you love. You mean too much to me." He stroked her cheek.

Lucy shook her head. "I don't want you to make huge decision regarding the band and your mates Paul, not just because of me!"

"It's not just because of you Lucy. There's been musical and business differences for some time. The things being said about you were just the final nail in the proverbial very large coffin."

"Just think carefully Paul. Please. I don't want you to throw away something that matters so much to you."

He looked at her for a moment. "Oh I get it!" he snapped suddenly, pushing her away. "It's all very clear!"

"What is?" Lucy looked bewildered, "Paul. I don't understand what you're talking about."

"You! All this think carefully crap." He scoffed, "I'm not such an appealing boyfriend if I'm not a Beatle, is that it? Scared they'll be no more money? You're no different from anyone else!"

"How dare you!" Lucy snapped angrily, "I don't care what job you do Paul. It's you I love! For gods sake, I didn't even recognize you as Paul McCartney when I met you...remember? And as for money, I don't need yours Paul. I earn my own by completing an honest days work in a job I love. The same way as I know how much being in The Beatles means to you!" She grabbed her bag, "I'm going home Paul. When you're feeling a bit less sorry for yourself, ring me if you want. If you're seriously convinced I'm only with you because you're Beatle Paul, then I won't expect your call."

Lucy stalked from the room and headed towards the front door. She hesitated, hoping Paul would come after her, but he didn't. Fighting back tears, she left the house and hurried home.

After letting herself into the house Lucy headed straight for her father's study. She knocked.

"Come in!"