Part 54 - February 17th 1972 Cont'd

Lucy sat on a stool in the wings watching her husband on stage. He was in his element, with a huge grin on his face as he bantered with the audience! Klaus too got almost as much of a reaction as Paul and they were fantastic together. She tapped her foot as they sang together on the Everly Brothers classics 'Bye, bye love' and 'Walk right back' then listened, fascinated, when Klaus described hearing The Beatles perform the very same songs in Hamburg over ten years ago when he first got to know Paul and the others.

There was then a change of pace as Paul left the stage and left Klaus to perform some songs on his own.

"Enjoying yourself?" Paul asked as he joined her.

"Very much!" She reached up and hugged him, "You are fantastic! I love the way to talk to the audience! And I never realized you and Klaus have know each other for so long!"

"Thanks love!" He kissed her softly, "You made this happen Lucy my darling. YOU!"

"What do you mean?"

"You encouraged me to get out there again! You gave me the confidence to do it!"

She laughed. "I'm glad! You're great....you both are!"

The couple sat together watching Klaus and clapped and cheered with the audience at the end of his pieces. Finally Paul stood up and returned to the stage. Lucy watched as he had a brief discussion with Klaus. Klaus nodded and laughed and Paul walked to the microphone.

"This song came from my solo LP McCartney. Enjoy it!"

He launched in a piano only version of 'Maybe I'm amazed' with Klaus on bass. At the end the audience went wild once more.

He got up from the piano and stood at the centre of the stage,

"Before we do the next song," he told the audience, "I want you to meet someone who helped Klaus and I write it." He turned to where Lucy was sat. "Lucy love!" he called, gesturing for her to join him.

She shook her head hurriedly, immediately panicking. "I can't!" she mouthed to him.

"Excuse me a minute ladies and gentlemen!" he shrugged and grinned at the audience before going off stage and taking her hand. "Come on, I want you to come out."

"NO!"

"Please love. It's important."

"But Paul..."

Suddenly the crowd, following the chant started by Klaus began to shout "Lu –cy! Lu – cy!' over and over again.

"See, they want you love!" said Paul.

Reluctantly Lucy stood up and let Paul take her hand and lead her onto the stage. People cheered as she appeared and cameras flashed. Paul held up his hand to silence the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen. There's someone I want you to meet." He pulled Lucy closer to him, "This is, as many of you will know,  my wonderful wife Lucy. Now the reason why I wanted to bring her on stage tonight is to tell you that without Lucy, you wouldn't be here tonight to see Klaus and I perform. You see, this woman has changed my life so much. After the break up of the band, I thought I couldn't do music anymore. That I was no good without the other lads!"

"You'll always be amazing Paul!" someone called from the front of the audience. Paul smiled and thanked whoever it was.

"You see, apart from loving and marrying me and then having our three gorgeous children, Lucy has gone out of her way to make me believe I can go on and still be involved in music. She was the one who got me and Klaus together, jamming at home." There was a cheer again and Paul smiled.