Part 43 - December 28th 1970

With the twins in bed asleep and Paul tinkering on the piano in the other room, Lucy sat in the living room enjoying the soft music and Paul's voice through the wall. It was nearly 9.30pm and she was debating making them both a cup of tea before heading off to bed. She smiled to herself, from the music through the wall, she didn't think Paul would be coming to bed just yet though. It sounded like a new song was emerging. Getting up slowly, she stood up and stretched and headed towards the kitchen. A few minutes later, two cups of tea and some biscuits on a tray, she knocked quietly on the door of Paul's music room and went in. He looked up and smiled in delight when he saw her.

"Hello baby!"

"Hi!" After putting the tray on a side table, she kissed him softly on the head, "I thought you could do with a cup of tea." She told him.

"Oh you angel!" Paul hugged her. "How's the boys?"

"Sound asleep!" said Lucy, "Them beginning to find their feet means they're sleeping better anyway!"

Paul sipped his tea then dunked his biscuit in before eating it. "You have to admit though, it is kind of cute seeing them trying to stand up!" he told her. "And James can get a fair dose of speed going when he crawls!"

Lucy laughed. "I know! I dread the idea of them walking properly though...especially if I'm heavily pregnant at the time. I'll need to put them both on a lead!"

Paul began to chuckle at the thought. "You'll be fine," he reassured her, "You know me or Rose will always be around until this one...," he patted her bump, "...is a few months old. Don't worry!"

Lucy nodded, already beginning to play a few soft chords in the piano.

"Fancy a sing?" said Paul suddenly.

"Seriously?" Lucy looked at him skeptically.

"Yeah, why not?"

Paul began to play on old Everly Brothers song and sing along. After a few minutes Lucy joined in on the chorus, harmonizing with him. Suddenly Paul stopped and looked at her.

"Did you know the harmony to that bit?"

Lucy shook her head. "Not really. I could hear it in my head though. Why?"

"It sounded lovely! I hadn't realized you knew vocal harmony Lucy love. You're really good!"

Lucy laughed "Praise indeed Mr McCartney, coming from you. Come on then, play something else."

"You play."

"Me? All I know really is church hymns and stuff."

"That's good for me...come in...how about something Christmassy."

Lucy grinned then began to play and sing 'O Little town of Bethlehem.' Paul joined in her, this time he was harmonizing. They sang all three verses before finishing. Paul leaned over and kissed her deeply.

"That song always has a special meaning now, do you know that?" he whispered.

Lucy nodded, remembering the fateful night she'd turned up carol singing at Paul's door. "What a time we've had since then!"

Paul smiled. "You're happy though aren't you Lucy? I know I am."

Lucy reached up and wrapped her arms around him. She kissed him softly. "Of course I'm happy Paul love. Very happy!" she grinned.

They remained holding each other for a few minutes until the peace was interrupted by the phone.

"I'll go!" said Lucy, hurrying out to the phone so it didn't wake the sleeping boys. "Hello!"