Part 38 - 30th July 1970 (cont'd)

Paul stared at Lucy, momentarily stunned then suddenly gave her a huge grin. "You're pregnant?"

She nodded her head miserably.

"Oh Lucy!" He hugged her hard, "That's the most amazing news I've ever heard!"

She pulled away from him. "Are you for real!" She snapped angrily, "Honestly Paul, it's the damn worse thing to have happened! We're going to have three babies under two years old! It'll be a nightmare for me, let's face it, I'll end up doing all the work!"

"Hey!" Paul held her hand, "I'll be here with you. As will Rose. No one is going to expect you to do everything!"

"So you'll waddle around like a deformed duck? Have the heart burn and morning sickness for me?" she snapped again, "Then go through another labour?!" She shook her head and began to cry again. "Oh Paul, it's not having another baby that's upsetting me so much, truly it isn't but it means I'll lose out on time with James and Daniel. I know you and Rose can care for them but they're MY sons and I want to be there for them! How can I share my time with them and cope with a new baby at the same time? It's not fair on them!"

"Oh Lucy love, if I could go through all that for you then I would!" Paul kissed her softly and wiped away her tears, "I know I'm clever but I don't think even I can do that! Sorry!" He kissed her again then reached for the pillow nearest to him. He stuffed it up his jumper then stood up. "What do you think? Does having a bump suit me? Hey, maybe I could have a sympathy bump with you instead?"

Despite feeling so upset, Lucy couldn't help but laugh as he stood the pillow up his jumper and his hand in the middle of his back feigning backache.

"That's better," he said sitting back next to her again. He took her hand. "We'll get through this Lucy. I promise I'll always be here for you. I know the timing isn't perfect but another baby for you and me? How can that not be a wonderful thing to happen?" He kissed her again then stopped and laughed, "Hey, I can't reach you properly to kiss you with a bump! Isn't that a strange feeling!" He pulled the pillow out and threw it back on the bed then put his arms around her once more. "Now that's better," he whispered softly before kissing her again, "Now I can reach all of you. I love you so much Lucy."

Lucy laid her head against his chest, feeling a little more at ease. She sighed deeply. "I love you too Paul. So much but at the same time, I'm so scared! I feel completely overwhelmed."

"I know but we'll both get used to the idea. You'll see. OK?"

She nodded. "Paul?"

"Yes love?"

"The doctor said I'm still in the early stages...about 6 weeks or so pregnant."

"OK?"

"So I'd rather we kept the news to ourselves for a bit longer. At least until I reach the safe three months stage."

"If that's what you want to do love, then that's fine."

"There's something else the doctor said."

"What my love?"

"Apparently if you've already had twins then there is a higher chance that any consecutive pregnancy could result in twins too." She watched his face as she told him the news. "And the likelihood increases the closer in conception the pregnancies are."

There was a brief pause of Paul took in what she had told him. "So there's a chance that we could have another set of twins?"
She nodded.

"Wow!"

"That's doesn't bother you?" asked Lucy.

"To be honest love, it would be hard work but we've done it once already with James and Daniel. At lease this time we'd know what to expect! And since you're already pregnant, what's the point in worrying until we know for sure how many there is?"