Part 5 - Christmas Day 1968

Paul studied his reflection. He wanted to look smart but not over dressed. Sighing, he swapped his shirt for a different one then looked again. He felt better. Glancing at his watch he saw it was already 1pm. Nearly time to leave! He headed downstairs and after collecting two parcels wrapped in Christmas paper he gave the snoozing Martha a wave, he slipped out of the house.

"Merry Christmas Paul!" Two of his usual gate fans hung around. "We just wanted to give you this."

Paul thanked them both then gave them a hug before they headed back home. He continued the short walk to Lucy's house, thinking about how the girls had gone out of their way to give him a gift. It was the type of generous gesture Lucy would do. Maybe it was unfair to think of them as nuisances all the time after all?

Excitement growing, he knocked on the door of the vicarage. It was opened by Daniel, Lucy's father.

"Paul! Good to see you! Come and in!"

"Thanks." Paul stepped inside and handed the man his coat.

He looked around for Lucy but there was no sign of her. Daniel saw him looking. He smiled. Lucy is in the kitchen Paul. Go through if you want.

Smiling, Paul nodded. "This is for you." He said, handing him a parcel that was clearly a bottle. "Lucy said you liked whiskey so..."

"Ooh thanks Paul! We'll open this after dinner 'eh?" He nodded. Daniel gave him a knowing grin. "I'll leave you to go to see my daughter. I can see you're keen!"

"Thanks."

Daniel returned to the sitting room as Paul stepped towards the kitchen. He could hear the sound of soft singing. He paused to listen.

"....above thy deep and dreamless sleep.."

Paul slowly opened the door.

"...the silent stars go by." He sang along with her.

She turned. "PAUL!" She came over to him and flung her arms around him, kissing him on the cheek. "Merry Christmas...and you're on time too!"

He smiled at her in delight. "Your dad said you were here. Do you need a hand with anything?"

"No, it's all under control! Anyway, you're a guest!"

"I can still help."

Lucy grinned. He looked at her, her brunette hair was cascading in soft curls around her shoulders and her cheeks were flushed with the heat of cooking. He couldn't see what she was wearing because she was wearing an apron over her clothes but it didn't matter to him. She looked stunning!

"Come into the living room. I'll get you a drink."

Paul followed her through. Daniel was sat in an armchair by the fire, watching TV. He looked up as the couple came into the room and grinned.

"Dad, stop it!" muttered Lucy, hitting her father playfully on the shoulder, "I've warned you!"

Daniel laughed at his daughter. "Yes dear! I'll behave!"

Lucy poured Paul a glass of wine before excusing herself back into the kitchen.

"I was a little surprised when Lucy told me this morning that she had invited you to lunch with us today." Daniel commented.

Paul looked uneasy. "If a problem with me being here, then I can go..." he began apologetically.

"No, no, not at all." Daniel grinned, "It's nice to see my daughter happy for a change. She's smiled a lot more since she met you!" Paul wasn't sure what to say in reply. "Do you like my daughter Paul?" Daniel placed a strong emphasis on the word 'like.'

Blushing uncomfortably, Paul nodded. "I like Lucy very much. She's very lovely."

"She is lovely." said Daniel, looking directly at him, "And she seems very keen on you. Make sure you treat her well Paul. Hurt my daughter in any way, I'll be there to get you!"

"I like Lucy a lot," repeated Paul, "I have no intention of upsetting or hurting her."

"Good. As long as we're agreed!"

"Food!" Lucy called from the kitchen.

Daniel stood up. "Come on then Paul. Let's go and eat! I'm starving!"

Paul stood up and followed Daniel into the dining room.

"Lucy! This looks stunning!" Paul exclaimed, unable to believe the table in front of him, "Wow!"

Lucy smiled at him. "I'm glad you like what you see. Sit down and tuck in." Lucy gestured to a seat opposite her and Paul sat down.

Despite their earlier 'discussion' Paul found Daniel to be good fun and Lucy an excellent host. Throughout the meal he also shared little smiles and glances with Lucy, confirming more and more that she seemed to be attracted to him too.

"Oh dad," said Lucy suddenly as they were finishing their desert, "I might not be in when you wake up from your Christmas sleep. Paul and I have to take Martha out."

"Martha?"

"My dog." said Paul. "She's a mad Old English Sheepdog. I can't leave her in the house all day."

Daniel nodded. "Well Lucy, that was a truely spectacular lunch. Thank you so very much!" He stood up and hugged his daughter, "Now though, he grinned to Paul, "tradition dictates that I must sleep off my dinner in front of the fire! Enjoy your walk but wrap up well. It's bitterly cold still!"

"Bye Dad."

"Bye Daniel."

Once alone Lucy and Paul chatted more comfortably. Suddenly Lucy stood up and went to a drawer. She took out a small package.

"This is for you Paul. Merry Christmas."

He took it from her in surprise. "I have something for you. It's in my coat pocket. One moment."

Gifts swapped, they both began unwrapping them. Paul found himself with a beautiful soft wool scarf with matching gloves.

"Oh Lucy, these are lovely. Thank you!"

She looked up from her own gift and smiled at him. "I knitted them myself. I thought they'd be good for when you walk Martha. You never had either despite the cold!"

Paul wrapped the scarf around his neck. It made it all the more special knowing Lucy had made it for him. "Open yours now." He urged. He watched as she tore open the pretty paper and then lifted the tissue paper item from it. She opened the second wrapper slowly and lifted a beautiful silk Liberty's scarf from the paper.

"Oh my!" She gasped, "Paul, I can't accept this! It must have cost a fortune!"

"Lucy please, I want you to have it."

He watched as she slid the beautiful fabric through her fingers.

"I love it." She said softly. "I've never seen anything so wonderful in my life."

Paul stood up and knelt in front of her. "A beautiful woman like you deserves beautiful things Lucy." He took the scarf from her hands and wrapped it gently around her neck. "It suits you."

Unable to stop himself, he leaned in to kiss her. To his delight, Lucy moved in to kiss him in return, rewarding him with a full passionate kiss. They finally broke away, breathless.

"Wow!" whispered Paul, leaning his forehead against her, "That was amazing!"

"Good," whispered Lucy snaking her arms around his neck, "So let's do it again!"