Part 37 - 12th April 1970

"Why didn't you wake me?" asked Lucy, coming into the kitchen one morning to find Paul sat with both boys in their high chairs, playing with them.

He looked up and smiled at her. "I was already awake when I heard them love." He said, "Yes I was, wasn't I boys? You were fast asleep so I thought I'd take them down on my own and let you rest."

"Thank you!" said Lucy gratefully, "I feel a millions times better than I did!"

"Good!" Paul looked at his beautiful wife. She was definitely brighter than yesterday but she still looked tired. Understandable considering the last three weeks had been hard on all of them with both James and Daniel deciding to sprout their first teeth!

Lucy sat down at the table, cup of coffee in hand and cooed to both boys. Seeing her, James immediately began to whimper to be picked up. Lucy sighed and picked him up. He tried to push himself backwards in the position he was used to for breast feeding.

"Want me to take him love?" asked Paul, knowing Lucy was desperate to stop breast feeding and was trying to wean both boys off her.

"Is there a bottle ready?"

Paul nodded.

"Let me try that first then."

Paul handed her the bottle and watched as Lucy tried to persuade her son to take that instead of the breast. It fascinated Paul how both babies took a bottle from Paul with no problems but refused for Lucy. James began to cry in earnest but still Lucy offered him the bottle. A drop of milk squirted from the bottle, some landing on the little boy's lips. He licked it away then latched onto the teat and began sucking with gusto!

"Hurrah!" Lucy whispered, "I think that's one –nil to mummy!"

Paul laughed then picked up Daniel who took the bottle offered to him readily. The couple sat together, feeding their babies.

"Lucy love?"

She looked up from James and smiled at Paul. "Yes?"

"You know how it's your birthday next week?"

She nodded.

"How do you fancy you and me having a night out? We could go for dinner go to the theatre?"

"Sounds lovely, but what about these two?"

"We could ask your dad and Rose to babysit."

"Yes, that would be nice!"

"Great!" said Paul, "I'll ring your dad when I'm done with this one and see what he says."

Lucy came out of the shower just as Paul put the phone down.

"I've just spoken to your dad. He said he'd more than happy to babysit!"

"Wonderful!" replied Lucy, looking very pleased.

"So what do you fancy doing for your birthday?"

Lucy shrugged. "I've no idea love. I don't feel like I've been out into the real world since the boys were born! What's on anywhere?"

"I could find out."

"How about," said Lucy, coming over to Paul and wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him, "that since you know what kind of things I like, you arrange something as a surprise? Just tell me how formally I need to dress and off we go!"

"Would you like that?" he whispered, kissing her back, delighted to be so close to her whilst she was naked, save for the towel.

"Very much!" She kissed him more. Paul began to slide his hand under the towel and stroke her left breast. Lucy backed away. "Don't Paul!"