Part 17 - February 13th 1969 (cont'd)

Lucy sat staring at her engagement ring as it twinkled in the lights. Paul smiled at her.

"Having fun?"

She looked up and smiled back. She nodded. "It such a beautiful ring Paul. I love it!"

"Good."

"I was wondering," Lucy began.

"Oh?"

She looked at Paul. "Could we go and tell dad? I don't want him to find out through the press or anything!"

"Of course. We could go now?"

The couple walked hand in hand out of the house. The usual group of girls hung around and called out hellos to the couple. The pair just waved and went on their way. Lucy let them into the house using her key.

"Dad? Dad?"

"In the kitchen love!"

They trouped through to where Daniel was sat, newspaper in hand and a pot of tea on the table.

"You've caught me!" he grinned at the couple, "Here I am, enjoying some peace before having fish and chips for my tea!"

"That sounds great!" said Paul, "I'm starving!"

"You just eaten!" exclaimed Lucy.

"I know but I'm still hungry!"

Lucy nudged Paul. "Dad," she said softly, "Paul and I have some news for you."

"Oh?" Daniel glanced at Paul who winked at him. "And what might that be?"

"Earlier today I asked Lucy to marry me." said Paul, slipping is arm around her waist, "And she said yes!"

"So you're engaged?" Daniel asked Lucy, his f ace stern.

Lucy nodded. "I really love Paul dad. And he loves me. I know it's a bit quick but it's the right thing for us." She looked anxious, "You are pleased aren't you?"

Suddenly Daniel grinned. He stood up and hugged Lucy first and then Paul. "Of course I'm pleased How could I not be! I'm glad you said yes! Paul here was worried you might say no."

"What do you mean?" Lucy looked from her father to Paul, confused.

"Well," said Daniel, grinning, "Ever since Paul came to ask me for permission to propose to you, I've been waiting to hear your answer sweetheart, that's why!"

Lucy turned to Paul. "You really asked dad for permission to marry me?"

He nodded. "I wanted to be sure Daniel was happy Lucy. It's the proper thing to do."

Lucy burst into happy tears. She flung her arms around Paul's neck. "That is so romantic Paul! Thank you!"

Paul patted her on the back, looking at Daniel slightly bewildered.

 Daniel laughed. "Women are a mystery Paul. Get used to their weird behavior!"

After celebrating their engagement with a fish and chip supper with Daniel, Paul and Lucy headed back to Cavendish Ave. It was quite late when they returned home so they went straight up to bed.

"Do you fancy making love to your fiancée Mr McCartney?" whispered Lucy, sliding into bed naked next to him.

Paul's eyes widened. "Again?"

She nodded.

"Am I losing my touch?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" Lucy looked surprised.