Part 44 - 4th February 1971

2.34am

Lucy lay in the bed, Paul beside her. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger. The midwife examined her briefly.

"Well?" Lucy asked through gritted teeth.

"Still the same Lucy," the midwife replied.

"I can't be!" She exclaimed, almost in tears, "I've been here hours. I can't still only be four centimetres dialted!"

The midwife patted her hand. "Sometime the contractions don't work as effectively as we hope." She said quietly, "We'll give it another half an hour and I'll check again. If there's still no progress, we'll call the doctor. OK?"

Lucy nodded then screwed up her face and began to breathe through more very strong contractions. She shouted and moaned as the pains rippled through her body.

"Surely this can't be right?" asked Paul after a few minutes, "She wasn't like this when the twins were being born!"

"Mr McCartney, every labour is different."

"Arrgghhh! WHY IS IT LIKE THIS?" Lucy shouted, "IT HURTS SO MUCH!"

"Use your gas and air Lucy. Deep breaths. It will help!"

Paul watched helplessly as Lucy used the gas and air for the pain. She took deep breaths and moaned with the contractions.

"Keep breathing through each contraction Lucy!" called the midwife, "You're doing well."

3.46am

"Let's have a look shall we Lucy?" The midwife examined Lucy then, after a moment, looked worried. "I think we'll ask doctor to have a look at you Lucy love."

"What's wrong?" asked Paul worriedly.

"Lucy still hasn't dilated any further." The midwife pressed a call button. Within minutes two additional midwives appeared. "I need the doctor too."

One of the midwives left to call for the doctor whilst the second came and looked a Lucy's notes. The doctor came in. He nodded to Paul then turned his attention to Lucy.

"Not progressing?" he asked

The first midwife shook her head.

"How long since labour was established?"

"Mrs McCartney's waters broke around 7.20pm yesterday evening. Labour was established by 9.50pm."

"So she's managed four centimetres in 6 hours. That's not too bad."

"No ," said the midwife, "Mrs McCartney progressed to four centimetres really quickly doctor. When I examined her at midnight, this is what I found. There's been no progress for almost four hours."

Paul could see the concern on the doctor's face. "When was she last examined?"

"Ten minutes ago."

"How's baby?"

"Things seem fine. Heart rate was steady and strong."

"My wife has gone into labour early though," interrupted Paul, "She had a bad fall then the pains started."

"How early?"

"Mrs McCartney is 5 weeks early doctor." said the midwife, looking again at Lucy's notes.

"Begin hormone therapy and then we'll assess again in two hours." said the doctor brusquely, "And monitor baby's heartbeat."

"Yes doctor."