Part 36 - 15th December 1969

A tired but ecstatically happy Paul emerged in to the chill December just after 1pm. He'd spent an hour or so with Lucy and his sons before leaving to give her time to rest. After many hugs and kisses, he'd promised to go home and tell family the news before having rest and returning later that evening.

"Hi Paul!" a voice called.

Paul looked up from unlocking his car door. He saw a small group of reporters, most of whom he recognized. He nodded.

"How's Lucy?"

"Good thanks."

"Have the twins arrived yet?"

Paul grinned like a Cheshire cat and nodded. "They were born at 11.17 this morning. Mum and babies are doing great!"

The reporters rushed over the road and immediately hit Paul with a barrage of questions. He shook his head.

"Look lads, I can't tell you anything just yet. I'm heading home to break the news to family. When I've done that, then I'll make a formal statement."

"Any idea when?"

"Possibly later today when I come back to see Lucy again. No promises though, OK?"

The reporters nodded and then left Paul to get into his car. He stopped off at the vicarage on the way home.

"Paul!" Daniel looked surprised when he opened the door, "Is everything alright?"

Paul nodded then followed Daniel into the kitchen. "Hi Rose!"

"Hello Paul!" she replied, "How's Lucy doing?"

Paul grinned at Daniel. "I have some news for you."

"Oh?"
"Well Grandad Daniel, your grandsons were born just after quarter past eleven this morning! Mother and babies are doing well!!"

Daniel sat down in shock. "And Lucy, she's OK?"

Paul nodded. "She was amazing Daniel. "Absolutely amazing!"

"You were with her? At the birth?" That was Rose.

"For the whole thing." said Paul proudly. He turned back to Daniel. "And yes. Lucy is absolutely fine. Tired obviously, but fine. The boys were born eight minutes apart and she even breast fed both babies!"

"And you said they're both boys?"

"Yes."

"Are they identical?" asked Rose, smiling at Paul.

Paul laughed. "Totally! If they didn't have their name bands on, we wouldn't know who was who!"

"So you've named them already?" asked Daniel.

"They've got first names but not middle names."

"And?" Daniel asked impatiently.

"The oldest is James." Daniel nodded, "And his brother is Daniel." Paul grinned at his father in law. "What do you think then Grandad?"

Paul watched as Daniel's eyes sparkled with tears. "I can't believe it! My little girl is a mum!" He smiled wistfully, "Her mum would have loved to have seen this!"

Paul smiled at Daniel. "I was thinking the same thing about my mum Daniel," he told him, "Especially as she was a midwife. I think she might have wanted to be there to help deliver them too!"

Daniel nodded. "Have you told your dad yet?"

Paul shook his head. "I'm going to head home and tell him now. I've been at the hospital since the early hours of this morning!"