Part 34- November 10th 1969

Lucy stood in the bedroom, looking at her profile in the mirror. Her stomach had suddenly become huge and the babies were now much more active. She stroked her bump and wondered once more, with just over eight weeks left to go, how big would she be by the time she went into labour? She slipped on her dress, a large flowing smock, the only thing she could now find to fit over her bump, then headed downstairs. Paul looked up as she entered the kitchen.

"Morning my love. Sleep well?"

She shrugged. "So so."

Paul smiled sympathetically at her. For Lucy, most nights were spent with numerous trips to the bathroom, the babies now putting a lot of pressure on her bladder, or sat up, suffering from heartburn.

"Sit down love," he told her as he got up, "I'll make you some breakfast. What do you fancy?"

"Just a bit of toast and a coffee please Paul." She reached up for a kiss as he walked passed her, "How are you?"

"I'm great thanks." He beamed at her, "What time is your appointment with the midwife?"

"It's not till eleven. Why?"

"I was going to come with you."

"There's no point Paul love," said Lucy, "It's not a hospital appointment, just the surgery. They'll check my blood pressure, feel my bump, check the heart beats and send me away."

"Are you sure you don't want me to come?"

Lucy shook her head. "I was going to walk down. It's only a short stroll, then go and see dad for a while afterwards. He's offered to make me some lunch."

"So I'm ditched then, am I?" Paul joked.

Lucy laughed. "Yep! My dad wins today!"

"Well, if you decide walking back is too much, ring me and I'll come and get you. OK?"

"I will. Thanks love." Lucy starting eating the toast that Paul had placed in front of her. "What are you doing today?" She smiled to herself, already knowing the answer. Since she'd walked into the room, he'd been whistling and humming to himself. That was a sure sign new songs were on the way and that Paul would be writing for most of the day.

"Just a few ideas I've got buzzing around. Thought I'd work on them to see what they become."

"I guessed." Lucy grinned at him.

"What do you mean?" Paul looked puzzled.

Lucy stood up and went to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck (at least, as much as she could now reach) and kissed him softly, "Paul my love, every time you sit there humming and whistling, a few hours later you appear and show me your new song. It's a very obvious pattern."

Paul laughed. "I suppose I do, don't I?" He kissed her back. "You stay safe today. Let me know when you get to your dad's."

"Paul, I'll be fine!"

"Please Lucy, I worry about you. Just tell me when you get there."

Lucy smiled. "OK. I'll call." She kissed him once more, "Right, I'm off to my appointment. Speak to you later Paul!"

She slipped out of the house, huddled in Paul's wool coat, the only thing that covered her bump properly. The early November day was bright but chilly. The last few leaves were clinging to the branches of the mature tress all along Cavendish Avenue. As usual, there were a small group of fans outside the house. They had kept their promise to her and Paul. They were now always polite and friendly, asking how she was and even offering to help when she had been carrying shopping bags. That morning they greeted her with a cheery good morning and asked her how she was. After returning her own reply, she set off.