Part 62- The early hours of the 21st August 1972

"Mummy! Want my mummy!"

Lucy stirred.

"Lucy love. Lucy!"

Slowly opening her eyes she was surprised to see Paul stood by her bed, holding a very tearful Daniel.

"What's wrong?" she asked, immediately concerned.

"I went to him when he first began crying," Paul explained, "but he didn't want me. He only wants you. Sorry love."

"Mummy! Want my mummy!"

Lucy shuffled in the bed and held her arms out to Daniel. "Come on sweetheart. Come and have a cuddle with mummy." Paul placed Daniel in bed beside Lucy and she immediately cradled him, "Hey Daniel, stop those tears. Mummy's here! Tell mummy what's wrong my darling!" She looked up at Paul, "You go back to bed. We'll be OK."

Paul sat on the edge of the bed beside them both. "See if he goes back off with you and then I'll take him back to bed. 10 minutes then I'll go. OK?"

"Whatever." Lucy turned her attention back to Daniel. His crying was now thankfully stopping.

"James gone mummy. James lost!"

"No sweetheart, James isn't lost. James is safe!"

"I want James mummy!"

"Listen, James is in the hospital, you know where the poorly people sometimes go?"

Daniel nodded dolefully. "Is James poorly mummy?"

"James had a little fall today sweetheart, you know like you do sometimes?" He nodded, "Well. it was a big bump on his head and on his arm. The doctors and nurses at the hospital are looking after him to make him better."

"James come home now mummy?"

"He might come home tomorrow, if the doctors think he's better." She smiled at Daniel, "How about tomorrow, if James can't come home, you come to see him at the hospital with mummy and daddy?"

Daniel nodded. "Please mummy!" He began to smile.

"And you can choose a special toy for you to take too."

Again the little boy nodded. "Toy for Daniel and Mary too, mummy?"

Paul and Lucy grinned at him.

"I think we can do that Daniel love," said Paul, ruffling the little boy's dark hair, "But only if you go back to sleep like a big boy for mummy and daddy. What do you think?"

"Yes daddy."

"Give mummy a big hug before you go please!" said Lucy, holding her arms out to Daniel. They hugged each other. "Night, night my love." said Lucy, kissing him on the cheek, "You have a big sleep so we can go to see James tomorrow!"

"Night night mummy!" Daniel let go of Lucy and held his arms out to Paul.

"Come on then little fella. Time for bed!" Lucy smiled as Daniel wrapped his arms around Paul's neck and let him take him back to bed. Suddenly she felt tears prick her eyes, seeing her little boy missing his twin brother so much was a shock! If something really serious had happened to James? What if...?

"Right Luc..." Paul stopped, "Hey. Whats the tears for?"

Lucy continued to cry. She couldn't help it. Paul sat on the bed and pulled her into his arms. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"I don't know!" she sniffed, "Seeing how much Daniel is missing James made me think about how he would have reacted if James had been really badly hurt or worse..." She began to cry again!