Part 10 - January 15th 1969

"Good morning. St John's Wood Vicarage."

"Hi Daniel. It's Paul. Is Lucy there please?"
"She was getting ready to go out Paul. I'll just call her."

Paul heard Daniel calling Lucy's name then the sound of footsteps on the stairs.

"Hi Paul!" Lucy sounded cheerful as usual, "How are you today?"
"All the better talking to you," he told her, "I missed you last night. My bed seemed very empty without you."

She laughed. "Never mind! You'll survive!"

"I suppose!" laughed Paul, "Anyway, I was wondering if you are busy today. Only the lads are coming round and I'm dying to introduce you to them. What do you think?"

"Oh Paul, I can't!"

"Why?" Lucy could hear the disappointment in his voice.

"I have to go into work Paul. I'm going to be assessed for light duties."

"What does that mean? How can you do anything with your wrist?"
"Well now that the pain is under control, they find out what tasks I can do safely until it's fixed. That way I can still have contact with the patients and they're not short staffed."

"Oh. I guess it makes sense. I know how much you miss working." He answered, "Do you fancy coming round after work?"

"I don't know how long I'll be though Paul, that's the problem." she said softly, "Then I've got the choir tonight. I'm not free until 8pm. Sorry. Maybe you could introduce me another time?"

"Ok." She heard him sigh.

"I could come to see you after choir if you want?"

"I'd love you to love but I might be at the studio by then." answered Paul, "We tend to have last sessions at the moment. You could give me a ring after choir and see if I'm there? I don't want to go all day not seeing you!"

"I'll do that then. I could always walk around to the studio if you're not home. What do you think?" Lucy offered, "I want to see you too. It would be strange not to see you after spending every day together for the last ten!"

"Oh you angel! Thanks Lucy bit listen, if you're too tired, I won't mind. OK?"

"I know Paul. If I'm not feeling up to it, I'll leave a message with Rose."

They talked for a few minutes more.

"Paul, I need to go. I'll miss my bus. Sorry."

"OK baby. Have a great day but look after yourself. I love you!"

"Love you too Paul. See you later!"

With one final good bye she hung up. She grabbed her coat and bag. "Dad, I'm off to the hospital. Don't know how long they need me for. See you later!"

"Bye Lucy!" Daniel called, coming into the hallway as she vanished through the front door. He waved as she hurried up the drive towards the bus stop.

Being back in work was lovely. The children were pleased to see her and found the fact that she ad a plaster cast like many of them strange. Matron was unexpectedly pleasant with her and it didn't take long to produce a list of tasks she could complete safely. Much to Lucy's relief some of the tasks meant she would still work directly with the patients! She had visions of weeks of note making and filing!

At lunchtime she sat in the staff canteen with two friends and fellow nurses. They chatted about this and that then the conversation turned to Paul.

"So come on then Lucy, how did you get to meet Paul McCartney?" her friend Elsie asked, "I've always thought he was gorgeous!"

Lucy grinned. "He is gorgeous and ever so lovely! I still can't believe we're together!" She told her friends some of the details about how they had met and how their relationship had developed, omitting all the personal stuff about Paul and the fact they were sleeping together. Her friends seemed genuinely pleased for her.