Part 22 - 20th March 1969

"Here we are!" announced Paul, pulling into a gate that led up a muddy track. "Welcome to High Park Farm."

Lucy looked around. Paul had been right, the scenery was amazing. Then the house came into view, a low ramshackle single storey building.

"It's only small but really cosy!" said Paul, seeing Lucy's face. "I promise!"

Nodding, she followed Paul out of the car. He unlocked the front door and led her straight into a small kitchen. She shivered. The room was freezing!

"Once I get a fire going," said Paul, "we'll be as warm as toast." He led her through a doorway. "This is the living room. Bathroom in there and this," he stopped in the doorway of the fourth room, "is the bedroom." He turned to her, smiling, "I told you it's lovely, don't you think?" he asked.

"I suppose once it's all been aired it will be pleasant enough." said Lucy, with a forced smile. She wasn't convinced. The house smelt damp and was freezing cold!

"Can you make a start on bringing the luggage in love?" asked Paul, "I'll start lighting fires for us, we'll soon have it home from home."

"Sure." Lucy headed outside and looked around. The views were stunning she had to admit. She breathed in the clean air and listened to the sound of birds and sheep. With a bit of fixing up here and there, she conceded, this could be a very lovely place to live. Smiling to herself, she carried the box of food they had brought in to the kitchen. Paul had already lit the fire in there and Martha was doing a great impression of a furry rug.

"I'm going to put the casserole in the over that Rose started for us Paul," she told him, giving him a quick kiss, "that way we can eat when we're done!"

"That's a great idea!" said Paul, "I'll light a fire in the bedroom next. Air the bedding too. When you find the hot water bottles I packed, tell me and I'll get them sorted out."

They were both busy for the next couple of hours. Lucy carried their cases through to the bedroom and opened the wardrobe to unpack. She stopped short, finding several women's dresses hung up there.

"Paul! Paul! Here a minute!"

He came through. "Yes love?"

She gestured to the wardrobe.

"What?"

"Have a look."

Paul looked into the wardrobe and saw the dresses. "Oh, Lucy, I'm so sorry. I didn't know she'd left them."

"I'm guessing they belong to Jane?"

Paul nodded.

Lucy looked around the room. There were a few personal items on the bedside table too. She looked at the bed.

"Forgotten clothes and bits of make up from your old girlfriend, I can cope with," she told him softly, but firmly, "But I draw a line at sleeping in the same bedding that you and her have been having sex in!" She walked out of the room.

"Lucy, I'm sorry! I hadn't thought about it!" He put his arms around her, "You're not mad at me are you?"

She shook her head. "Paul, I accept that you have a history with Jane. I have no issue with that. But surely you're not really expecting me to sleep in the same bedding as she shared with you? That's too much!"

"But Lucy love, I don't think we packed extra bedding."

"Then we'll have to buy some then."

"It's too late to go into town now Lucy. The shops will be shut."