Part 11 - January 16th 1969

Walking back from the bathroom, Daniel stopped, convinced he'd heard a noise. He listened carefully. It was coming from Lucy's room. He went to her door and listened again. She was sobbing. He knocked softly.

"Lucy?"

There was no reply.

Daniel slowly pushed the door open. Lucy was huddled under her covers crying. He sat on the edge of her bed and waited. After a few minutes Lucy emerged from the covers, her faced red and tea stained. She immediately reached up and hugged her father.

"Hey now," he said softly, "What's upsetting you so much? You've been so happy lately. Want to talk to your old dad or do you want me to leave you alone?"

Lucy moved away from her dad's hug and gave him a watery smile. "It's Paul."

"I guessed it was something to do with him when you came home this evening."

Lucy nodded. She explained to her father what her friends at work had said and then what John had told her.

"I don't know what to think dad," she told him, tears rolling down her face, "It scares me. I don't want it to be like me and Hugo all over again!"

"Does Paul know about Hugo and that you were engaged?"

She nodded. "And what happened afterwards."

"How did he react?"

"He said it was a appalling thing to do to someone. But dad, that's exactly what he did to his girlfriend except she walked in and found him in bed with another woman!"

Daniel shook his head. "So what's going through your mind now?"

"I'm not sure dad," Lucy began to cry again, "I keep thinking I should end it now, before he can hurt me but..." She stopped, shaking her head.

"But what sweetheart."
"I love him dad. I know we've not been together long but, well there's just something about him, we just click." She wiped the tears from her face, "I want to be with him!"

"Maybe you need to slow things down a little," her father suggested, "Take more time. Maybe not spend so much time with him so things don't seem so intense. It might help you be sure before you take things further Lucy."

Lucy started sobbing again. "Oh dad! It's too late for that!"

"What do you mean sweetheart?"

She looked at her father and gave him a grim smile. "We've already taken things further dad. He's had what he wanted so what do I do now? End it before he dumps me or wait to be dumped?"

"How can you be sure he'll dump you?"

"But dad..."

"Lucy love, Paul seems very keen on you. When he rang last night, he was very concerned that you walked out. He was worried. He said you were really out of sorts."

"Last night?" Lucy asked eagerly, "When did Paul ring last night?"

"It was about ten minutes after you arrived home. He wanted to be sure you were safe...you promised to phone when you got in but didn't."

"Why didn't you call me?"

"You were in the shower love. He called back again but you were already asleep. I tried calling you. Anyway, Paul said to tell you he love you and he'd call tomorrow...or, looking at the clock, later today. I don't think a man planning on ending things would behave like that Lucy, do you?"

"So what do you think I should do dad? If you were me?"

"Well, being a humble man, I can't proclaim to have the complex emotions you have Lucy, however I do recognize when a man is in love. Anyone can see that Paul loves you Lucy. Talk to him. Tell him what you've been told, especially by his so called friend and see what he says. You can't make any decisions until you've done that."