Part 21 - 10th March 1969

The press intrusion and filming outside the house continued almost daily, clearly hoping to catch some altercation between Paul and any of the other Beatles. Lucy had tried to leave the house on three occasions to visit her father, only to be forced back inside by either angry fans or prying reporters and photographers. She hated it but was more worried about Paul. The constant comments from the press were now added to by comments from John and the others. He couldn't sleep or eat properly. All he seemed to do was sit in the kitchen, working his way through bottles of whiskey. Lucy did her best to stop him drinking himself into oblivion but all that did was make Paul angry and yell at her to stop interfering.

"I'm not interfering!" she yelled back when this had happened on three different occasions, "I care about you! I don't want to see you drowning your sorrows in alcohol! So if that's interfering, fuck you Paul! I'll move back home if trying to support and care about you is such a problem!"

Lucy stormed from the room and went upstairs. She sat on her side of the bed, fighting back the tears. She hated arguing with Paul, but his current behavior was driving her mad! Suddenly the bedroom door opened.

"Lucy love, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that." Paul knelt down in front of her, "Hey, don't cry." He wiped her tears away then kissed her softly.

Lucy studied the soft brown eyes that were always filled with love for her. "I'm scared Paul," she whispered, "I'm scared because of what you are doing to yourself! It's not healthy for your mind or your body to drink as much as you have been doing. You can't wash away your worries with alcohol Paul. It only makes your low mood worse!" She held his gaze. "And I'm scared what it's doing to us love. I feel like I don't know you anymore. You're not the man I fell for or said yes to marrying. Not any more! It's like you're wrapped in an angry drunken fog all the time."

"I'm still your Paul love," he told her softly, "I still love you. That's not changed."

Lucy looked away from him.

"Talk to me Lucy."

Sighing, she looked back at him. "I can't help but feel that the Paul I met and fell for wouldn't give in like this. He'd be stronger than this."

"You think?"

She nodded.

"Paul love, you've left The Beatles. Your god given talent for writing beautiful music hasn't been taken off you. That's still inside you."

"I'm not so sure," said Paul sadly, "I can't seem to write anything anymore. I just don't have the urge anymore. Maybe all the critics and John were right. Maybe it's been John that's been carrying me all these years? I'm scared I have nothing left without him!"

"That's rubbish, and you know it love! You're amazing on your own! Think of all the great songs you've done on your own!" exclaimed Lucy earnestly, "Maybe the drink or the depression you've sunk into is suppressing it all?"

"I don't know what to think baby." Paul shrugged sadly, "But please don't leave me Lucy. I couldn't bear that!"

"I don't want to leave you Paul." Lucy hesitated, "But I can't watch you destroy yourself without speaking out!"

"You're right." He leaned over and kissed her softly, "I'm sorry!"

"You don't need to apologise Paul.

"But I was so horrible to you."

"Shhh, It doesn't matter now." She leaned to him and began to kiss him. He responded and their kisses became deeper, more passionate and more urgent.