Part 56 - 4th April 1972

By the beginning of April family life had settled once more within the walls of Cavendish Avenue. Paul, now taking a break from work, was always around to be with Lucy and the children. Another major change to the household had been the arrival of a new housekeeper Dorothy, or Dot as she preferred to be called. She had come to them on the recommendation of Rose who knew her very well. Lucy had taken to the older woman very quickly, as had the children, and it made life much easier having someone to help with the housework! As Rose had once done, Dot now 'lived in' using the basement flat attached to the house as her own private space.

Another development had been that after much persuasion and discussion, Lucy had finally agreed to give being in the 'band' a go. After the children were settled in bed, the couple spent many and evening with Paul teaching Lucy the piano parts and rehearsing together.

It was early May when Lucy answered an unexpected phone call.

"Hi Lucy, it's Klaus. How the family?"

"Hello Klaus. We're all great thanks. How's you?"

"Very good!" He laughed, "Actually, I wanted to see if Paul would be my best man for me?"

"Really! He'll love it!" Lucy said excitedly, "One minute, I'll just go and get him. He's outside with the boys."

"Thanks Lucy."

"Bye for now Klaus."

"Bye Lucy."

It was sometime before Paul returned to the game of football in the garden, a huge grin across his face. Lucy picked up the ball she was about to kick and called the boys to her. After telling them she needed to talk to daddy, they ran off to play together without her.

"Well?" Lucy asked.

"He's asked me to be his best man!" Paul told her, looking very pleased with him self.

"I'm guessing you've said yes?"

He nodded. "He's getting married at the end of June. The 28th."

"Wonderful, where?"

"Germany! He's invited us to come a few days before hand so we can hang out together. How does that sound?"

Lucy grinned. "Sounds fab! Where in Germany?"

"Hamburg!" Paul looked serious suddenly. "There's something else too. But if you're not keen, I won't go."

"What do you mean?" Lucy looked worried.

"Klaus wants to have a stag party."

"That makes sense."

Paul smiled. "I know but that's going to be in Hamburg too. It means me going away for a couple of days and leaving you and the kids here."

"That's OK."

Paul walked over to her and put his arms around her. "I'm serious Lucy." He told her gently, "After what happened last time I was away. If you don't want me to go, then I'll explain to Klaus!"

Lucy smiled at him then kissed his lips gently. "Paul my love, I'll be fine. We have the house alarm now, plus I'm not on my own, we've got Dot too. We'll be fine! Go and have some fun! It's your job as best man anyway!"

"You mean that?" he asked solemnly, "Seriously?"

"I do!" Lucy grinned, "So when is it?"

"The actual 'do' is on the 16th June. It'd mean I'd leave here on the 15th and come home on the 17th. He looked at Lucy, "How does that sound to you?"