Part 8 -January 5th 1969

Before Lucy could reply, the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Paul, it's Daniel. I don't think I can come back with clothes for Lucy."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I was followed home by some of the reporters. They think you're planning on getting married."

Paul started laughing. "Now THAT is a new one for the press. Ok Daniel. We'll sort out something from here and let you know."

"Thanks Paul."

He hung up and turned to Lucy. He grinned at her. "Apparently you're to be the new Mrs McCartney."

Rose gasped.

Lucy looked at him, a mixture of fear and confusion. "What do you mean?"

"That was your dad. Some of the reporters followed his to your house. Because of his dog collar, they're convinced that I'm planning on getting married! They were trying to get information from your dad!"

"Oh Paul, I'm so sorry!" Lucy began.

"Hey, don't be," said Paul, sitting beside her, "I can't think of a more perfect person for the role of my wife than you." He nodded to Rose, who discretely left them. "Maybe just not so soon 'eh?"

She gave him a weak smile. "Sorry to cause all this hassle Paul."

"Lucy love, it's not your fault." He put his arm around her and gave her a gentle hug, "Lucy, this is what my life is like. The press want to know everything and anything that they can. I'm afraid I'm not the easiest person to be in a relationship with because of it. I should be apologizing to you."

She looked up at him. "I feel like I've made you look a fool Paul. I mean I fell over like some daft kid!" She turned away from him, shaking her head. "I'm sorry."

"Lucy, look at me."

She looked up. Paul stared intently, holding her gaze. "You are a kind, generous, loving beautiful woman who walked into my life three weeks ago. Lucy, you've transformed it! I mean that. Last night wasn't your fault. We were trying to be like any other couple and spend time together doing something nice. The press ruined last night Lucy. Not you falling over. Now take that notion from your mind OK?" He kissed her softly then stroked her cheek. "OK?"

Lucy nodded slowly. "OK. Thanks Paul. You're pretty lovely too."

He grinned at her. "Hooray! You've finally admitted you like me!" He kissed her once more. "Now clothes for you. How about I send Rose out to buy you some?"

"Buy some? Paul that's mad! I've got a wardrobe full of clothes at home!"

"Very true but they're a little inaccessible at the moment. I meant just one outfit at least. THEN, despite looking very fetching in them, you won't have to leave here with me dressed in my pyjamas!"

Lucy could see his point. Paul called Rose into the room and after getting sizes for Lucy, she headed out shopping. She returned just over an hour later with shopping bags. Lucy looked over the contents.

"Oh Rose, thank you so much! They're perfect! I'm so sorry to have put you to so much trouble!"

Rose smiled at the young woman. "No problem sweetheart. I'll leave you to get changed."

"Thank you again Rose." Lucy called as she left the room.

It was a few minutes later that the bedroom door opened.

"Paul!" Lucy clasped her unfastened bra to her chest, "You should have knocked!"

"Oh sorry! I came to see if you cold manage on your own. I'll go!" He turned, beginning to close the door behind him.