Part 25 - 5th July 1969

Lucy returned from her first midwife appointment and wandered into the kitchen. The house was empty and quiet. She sat down and contemplated how ten weeks ago, when they had been happy and in love, she and Paul had conceived their child, no doubt during one of their wonderful romantic afternoons in bed! A tear rolled down her face, followed by another and another. She wiped then away and sighed deeply. She'd been in London for almost a week and missed Paul terribly. She'd been tempted to phone him several times but had always backed out on the last minute, scared at how he would be with her. She had promised to tell him about the pregnancy as often as she could, maybe this would be a good time to call and check how he was. Lucy walked into the hall, sat on the stairs and dialed the familiar number. She wondered if he'd even bother answering the phone? It had always been something he'd avoided when she'd been with him in case it was John or one of the other Beatles. She heard it ring twice.

"Hello?" She loved his voice. It felt so good to hear it again!

"Paul. It's Lucy."

"Hello sweetheart! It's great to hear from you. How are you?"

"I'm good thanks. How about you?"

"Getting there! I've not had a drink or pot since you left. I promised you I'd sort myself out Lucy."

"I'm glad to hear you're doing good Paul. Really I am." There was a slightly awkward pause. "Erm, I rang to tell you that I had my first midwife appointment today. And to tell you that everything is going well with the baby."

"That's good to hear Lucy love."

"It seems I'm now ten weeks pregnant."

"Oh, right."

"Yes, the baby is due on the 15th January 1970 Paul."

"Wow! Really! That seems very soon!"

"Seven months Paul. It's a while yet." Said Lucy softly, "Anyway, I'll let you get on. Look after yourself Paul."

"I will. You too Lucy."

"Thanks. Bye Paul!"

"Lucy wait!"

"What's wrong?"

"Can I play you a little song I've been working on?"

"You've been writing again?"

"Yes. You were right. Once I stopped the booze and the pot, I started wanting to play again. Can I play for you?"

"Of course."

"It's just something very short. I was clearing the front yard and remembered you complaining about the mess."

"OK."

He began to play the guitar and then joined in singing very softly. It was a delicate and very pretty little melody basically describing the junk that cluttered the front yard in Scotland.

"That's a beautiful melody Paul." she told him honestly, "And it sounded so good to hear you sing again. I've always loved hearing your wonderful voice."

"Thanks Lucy. It feels good singing again!" said Paul quietly, "Thanks for making me sort myself out!"

"No problem."

"Ok, well take care Lucy my love. I love you."

"You too Paul. Bye."

She replaced the handset and thought about how Paul had started to change. She hoped it would continue for all their sakes.

Campbletown 5th July 1969.

Paul put the phone down and wandered back into the kitchen to where a picture of him and Lucy stood on the window sill. He smiled at the image and marveled once more how much he loved her. Their baby had a birth date already! All it needed now was parents that were still together! Paul was pleased that Lucy had liked his song. And even more pleased when she acknowledged that he had been trying to sort himself out. Encourage by his new found pride, he picked up his guitar and began working once more.

20th July 1969

Lucy headed into town. She planned to buy some material in order to make herself some clothes which would fit it now rapidly changing shape. She was becoming more and more self conscious now that he clothes were getting tighter although her father assured her, she didn't look pregnant...yet! Walking back, the day was warm so Lucy took off her long cardigan to cool off. Rounding the corner close to Cavendish Avenue, Lucy found herself walk straight into the friendly face of Rose, Paul's housekeeper. Refusing to take no for an answer, Lucy was hustled into the house for a cup of tea and a catch up.

"Paul mentioned you'd come home. Is it a permanent split Lucy love? I know Paul still loves you."

"It's complicated Rose. I don't think either of us really knows what we want."

"Paul has told me what happened love. He knows he's been a fool."

Lucy nodded. "Did he tell you anything else?"

"Only that he's coming home soon. He's planning to record a new album or something."

"Is he?"

Rose eyed her suspiciously. "Why, what else should he have told me?"

"Nothing!" Lucy laughed nervously.

"I know that you're expecting love. He's over the moon!"

Lucy blushed. "It wasn't planned or anything."

"That doesn't matter Lucy." said Rose softly, "If you can be sure this baby was made in love, then you'll be fine, you and Paul, no matter what's happening now. You'll see."

"You think?"

"You still love him don't you?"

"Paul?" She sighed deeply, "I suppose I do. I always will. He's the father of my baby."

"Do you love him enough to bring that baby into the world as parents? Together, husband and wife?"

Lucy stood up, Rose's questions making her feel very uncomfortable. "It's not just what I want Rose. It's what's best for the three of us." She excused herself and walked home.

"Hi Lucy love. How was town? Get what you needed" her father asked as she let herself in.

"Yes thanks dad." She gave him a weak smile, "I'm going for a lie down. The heat has made me sleepy."

With promises to wake her for dinner later still ringing in her ears, Lucy lay on her bed. Sleep didn't come. Instead she lay there, her hand resting on her stomach, remembering the time Paul had lay in this very bed with her. She missed his touch, his love...his very presence in her life. She cried herself to sleep, wondering yet again if she had made the right choices in her life."

30th July 1969

"Lucy!" called Daniel, "Phone for you love."

"Who is it?" she mouthed before taking the handset from him.

"Paul."

"Hello Paul. Is everything alright?" Lucy was concerned. Although the couple talked once a week on the phone, he'd already spoken to her just a few days ago.

"Everything's fine Lucy love," said Paul quickly so as not to worry her, "I have something I wanted to ask you."

"Oh?"

"The thing is Lucy, I'm travelling back to London tomorrow. I've booked some studio time at Abbey Road. I'm going to be around for a few weeks. I was hoping that perhaps we could meet face to face whilst I'm there?"

"Of course," Lucy smiled to herself, "It would be good to see you. I'll be able to show you my almost bump!"

"Almost?" Paul laughed, "What does that mean?"

Lucy laughed too. "It means if you know I'm pregnant, you can see that my shape has altered. I'm almost obviously pregnant!"

"Oh wonderful! Thanks Lucy for agreeing to see me. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your almost bump! Can I call you once I'm back?"

"Yes, of course."

They chatted for a few more minutes then hung up. Lucy returned to the kitchen, a happy grin on her face.

"You look happy love." remarked her father, "Good news?"

"Very good!" She smiled, "Paul's coming back to London for a few weeks. We've arranged to meet up. I can hardly wait!"