Part 18 - February 18th 1969.

"How long does it take to get to Liverpool Paul?" asked Lucy after an hour or so into their journey.

"Depends, but usually about five hours."

"Five! Do you want me to share some of the driving with you? You'll be exhausted!"

He squeezed her leg whilst keeping his eyes on the road. "Maybe love. We'll see how it goes. To be honest I love driving anyway so I don't mind. Besides the motorway is so much faster!"

Lucy nodded. They chatted and listened to music, singing along together, as Paul drove.

"You have a lovely voice Lucy."

Lucy grinned. "You think so?"

He nodded. "We'll have to do a song together sometime!"

Lucy laughed. "We'll see!"

It began to rain meaning that Paul had to slow down. He tutted in annoyance.

"What's the matter?"

"I can't go as fast in this weather!"

"Never mind that!" Lucy scolded, "Let's just get there in one piece! What time did you tell your dad we'd be there?"

"Around five."

"We've got ages yet then Paul! It's only just gone one." She was pleased to see that Paul had slowed down, "So Paul, what shall I call your dad?"

"To be honest Lucy, I'd call him Mr McCartney at first. He'll be really lovely with you and then tell you to call him Jim anyway."

"What about your stepmother?"

"That's up to you."

"Will your Mike be there?"

"Not sure. We might see him tomorrow if not."

"Is he Mike or Michael?"

"To me he's our kid. Either I guess. He won't mind!"

"So what's Liverpool like Paul? I've never been."

"Really?" Paul described the Liverpool of his childhood and what it had been like growing up. "I had great parents. Me and Mike were lucky!"

Lucy smiled as she heard the affection for his home town and family in his voice.

"What about you Lucy? You never talk about your childhood...is that because of losing your mum?"

"I guess so. Lucy nodded slowly, "My mum was beautiful. She had dark wavy hair and bright blue eyes. When  I was little, after she first died I used to think she was like a princess. She was very softly spoken too, although she never lost her French accent." Lucy looked wistful.

"Your mum had a French accent?" asked Paul, astonished.

Lucy smiled at him. " Mum was French, Paul. Her whole family were born and brought up in Lyon. My grandparents still live there."

"Wow! So how did your mum and dad meet then?"

"When dad was about twenty, he seriously considered becoming a Catholic priest. You know, not being allowed to get married and stuff."

"Really?"

"However he was advised to take some time away to really consider what he wanted, because it's such a massive decision. So he decided to go and spend some time at a seminary near Lyon, partially with some monks there. One day, he had to come into the town to buy provisions. He rode on a pedal bike. Anyway it seems Dad had a bad accident. He was knocked off his bike and broke both legs. He was kept in the local hospital in Lyon for over two months. Mum was his nurse and they fell in love."