3: Rough Start

"Where are we going first, Mama?" Akio asked politely.

"I'm tired Mama, can we get ice cream?" Zenko added in.

"Mama! Mama!" Chouko cheered in response.

Traveling with two four year-olds and a one-and-a-half year-old was not your favorite thing to do.

"We're going to start by getting out of Glam Gas Land. We're going to travel through the Gordeau Desert to get to Yorknew City. We should be able to meet up with a friend of mine and your father's and stay with him for awhile. The city is so big that Daddy will have a hard time finding us."

"We're gonna win!" Zenko cheered.

"Is it... scary?" Akio shivered as he walked. He was used to Glam Gas Land and its hustle and bustle, but he had a feeling that Yorknew City was even more busy.

"Doesn't matter Aki! I'll protect you!" Zenko jumped on Akio's back and hugged him tightly.

"Wo-AH! Zeni, get off! I'm gonna fall!" Akio called out as he lost his footing. As the two boys tumbled into the dirt, you looked back at them. You watched as Zenko's eyes filled with tears. He was always the first one to cry. Sighing, you turned around and went to pick up Zenko.

"Jeez, Zeni, this is what happens when you tackle me! I didn't mean to hurt him, Mama! Honest!" Akio was worried about getting in trouble.

"I know baby." You reassured him as Zenko let loose one of the loudest sobs you ever heard a child emit. "Come here, Zenko. You'll be okay." You scooped him up and rocked him, with Chouko happily gurgling on your back.

"I want Daddy!" Zenko screamed as you attempted to calm him down.

"I want Daddy too, Zenko, which is why we're going on our adventure! Daddy will definitely come to find us when he sees we're hiding. Then, maybe he'll spend some time with us." You weren't being fair to Hisoka, seeing as he often left on work-- whatever that was. But you were hurt. He always left you without a good-bye, didn't bother to tell you where he was, and didn't come back for ages. It felt like you were lucky to see him half of a year, if that.

"Stupid Daddy." Zenko sniffed. "Always gone."

"Yes, stupid Daddy indeed. But let's keep going. We can set up our campsite when we get to the desert." You rocked Zenko back and forth as you continued walking. "Let me know when you feel better Zenko. You're getting too heavy for Mama to carry you for too long. I've got to save my strength for carrying Chouko; you know how wiggly she gets in the afternoon!" Zenko ignored you of course, relishing in the comfort of being held by you.

And for the rest of the day, you walked and walked and walked.

Meanwhile, Hisoka was just finishing up the exam trial on Zevil Island. To him, his beautiful wife and children were waiting patiently at home for him to return. Glam Gas Land had been home to him for a little less than twenty years. He had spent most of his adolescence there, in a performing circus. It was at the circus that he had met you. But that was a story for another time.