12: The Big Day

"Mama, will you tell us another story?" Akio asked politely.

"About what?" You asked as you finished up the preparation for the kebabs.

"Daddy."

"Not Daddy!" Zenko whined. "I hate Daddy!"

"Zenko!" You whipped around to look at him. "Enough. We all love Daddy. He's just been... dumb. Akio, must you hear about him?"

"Yes, Mama."

"Fine, fine. Sit down and take your shirts off. Dinner is ready."

As your sons followed your instructions, you scooped Chouko off the ground and away from her few toys you brought from her. You handed her a cooked vegetable to chew on as you served Akio and Zenko and finally sat down to eat.

"Let me tell you about the day we got married..."

--

You had just turned twenty that year. The circus was faltering without your father and you knew that soon enough that the troupe would disperse into more lucrative positions. That's why this year, today, was it. Hisoka had been asking you to marry him since you were sixteen, something that began as a joke but quickly metamorphosed into sincere begging. At 19, you finally agreed.

And now you were getting married in front of all of your friends and fellow troupe members. You had decided to wear a dress at Hisoka's request but made the agreement that it could be any color of your choosing. As you twirled in circles within it in front of your mirror, you knew you had made the right choice. Looking down at your hand, noticing the large gem you had also picked out, you figured that was also the right choice. And as you glanced behind your image in the mirror at your soon-to-be husband in his personalized tuxedo, you had no doubt you were making the best choice of your life.

"Are you ready, my love?"

"Bungee! You're not supposed to see me before the wedding!"

"Ah, well, I figure we're something of an odd couple anyways. So we might as well have the wedding anyway we want it now~"

You walked over to him and swatted at his shoulder. "Who are you calling odd? You're the biggest weirdo of all!"

"I'm offended!~" He leaned down to kiss you, but you quickly dodged him.

"Can't you at least wait for the designated time for that?!"

"If my love requests it, I suppose I must~"

"Huh, first time I've ever heard that! Where was that attitude when I asked you to go out to get me hot cocoa last night?"

"Today is special?" Hisoka grinned at you sheepishly.

You laughed cheerfully and took his hand. "Well, let's do this, Bungee!" You beamed at him. As you both walked into the large ballroom and up to the wedding officiator, your guests fell silent.

"Please, go ahead and share your vows." The officiator ushered the ceremony to begin.

"Bungee. I haven't always loved you like I do now. In fact when you were brought into my room— barely alive mind you!— I thought you were an incredible inconvenience. And then, you refused to tell me your name! It took me over a year to discover you were actually Hisoka Morow. And it took me a few more years after that to discover what an amazing, selfless, caring and silly man you are. Whether it was stealing my gum, bringing me flowers or helping out my family's circus, you were constantly a part of my life. And today I want to ensure that you always will be. I didn't always love you, but as we grew up together, fighting, playing, kissing and crying, my heart opened up to you." You watched as tears rolled down Hisoka's face silently, "I cannot imagine my life without you, because a life without you is a life without smiles, a life without fun and a life without love. So I'm here, asking you now, to promise to love me like I love you." Your eyes welled up, but you held the dam back just barely.

"Oh my, I don't think I'll make it through my vows!" Hisoka joked lightly as he patted at his eyes. Your guests laughed, but there were few dry eyes. "Yumi, unlike you I loved you from the second I laid eyes on you. I put up with years of rejections and teases and being 'just a best friend'. I practically— no, actually!— had to beg you on my knees to even consider marrying me! And let me tell you, it's the best choice I have ever made in my life." This is where you began sobbing, causing aww's to erupt. "If I had to do it again and wait twice as long, I still would. I would do anything for you in this entire world. You are the only woman for me and so I have never been more confident when I say that I can promise to love you back for the rest of our lives."

"I think we've had enough pulling at our heartstrings!" The officiator announced. "Please, kiss!"
Your lips touched his, tears mingling on your faces as he lifted you high in the air and spun you around. That day had been perfect.