37: Opening Up

As Zenko sniffled himself to sleep, you returned to the living room, watching Chouko play with Akio.

"Can I come get you? You see how necessary I am now~" Hisoka boasted.

"Do you not see how you've influenced his behavior? He's obsessed with you being a killing machine. Tell me that's normal."

"Ah... Well, no, I suppose not." He answered flatly and truthfully. "But you provoke him and you know it! Why would you throw his picture and his markers away, Yumi? That was just cruel."

"You weren't here, surprisingly enough. It's been very stressful for me. Zenko is really acting out, but I've got two other children and a child-like husband. It's difficult for me to not overreact sometimes." You made up the excuse as the other end suddenly got much louder.

"Oh~ it looks like Uvo is about done.~ I think I'll have to hang up soon.~" Hisoka seemed particularly sad and saccharine, then it dropped to a whisper. "Can't we just all go home?~ I worry about my most precious family~ I do this all to protect you, yet I feel so helpless~" His voice cracked a little, and he stood up and walked away from the Troupe. "I miss you so much, my love. This job... it's almost done... Can't we please just go back to Glam Gas Land? I promise I will be more transparent with you."

"Tell me about this mysterious 'job' you're on now." You knew you were getting his hopes up, but you also needed some time to talk to another adult, as well as understand your husband better.

"We've stolen all of the auction's treasures. Currently, Uvo is fighting off—"

"Fighting off or killing?"

"Killing. He's killing the shadow beasts, who work for the Mafia, who owned the treasures. Or whatever. And you know, when we got there, the treasures were actually gone. I assume Chrollo planned to lure these shadow people out, so that torturer in the group could get them to tell us where the treasures are."

"So wait, you're all fighting over what is right now, imaginary treasure?"

"When you put it that way...~ Regardless, once we get the treasure, I think we'll be— Hold on."

"What?"

"I... Someone took that brute. We have to go. I will text you later my love."

And with that, he hung up. You frowned, but understood. Chrollo wouldn't be happy that one of his friends were missing. But then again, the friends of those beasts won't be happy to know that their pal died either. And in your mind, you felt it served Chrollo right for being such a hypocrite.

Your two other kids noticed your phone conversation was over and they toddled/walked towards your sitting body on the couch. As you lifted them both onto your lap, they snuggled close.

"Why was Zeni so mad, Mama?" Akio mumbled as he played with the fabric of your shirt.

"I'm sure he misses Daddy. He just shows it different than you or I do. It's okay. Things will be better tomorrow."