17: Dinner, Interrupted

"Oh! Uh, yeah, I guess... What's..." You lowered your voice as you lowered Chouko into her high chair. It was almost time for dinner at the Zoldyck house. "What's wrong, Bungee?"

"Does Chouko call him 'Dada'? Is she really talking like that now?"

"Him who? Chrollo? I don't know. I didn't hear her say that to him, but he spent a lot of time with her. And yeah, she's been talking, Hisoka. You're missing it and she's missing you. But she knows you. She cries for you."

"Does she really? Do you think she'd recognize me?"

"Recognize you? Bungee, you haven't been gone her entire life. You're her father. I'd bet she'd even know your voice. You talked to her so much when she was fluttering inside me." You felt bad about how upset he sounded, but it was his own doing.

"...Could... Could we try? Could you put me on speaker phone next to her?" You hesitated. You weren't quite sure if that was a good idea. It could set Chouko off again, or set you off. You were so angry about what you had heard at the Zoldycks, but seeing as you were currently hiding there, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to confront your husband about it.

"Fine, but if she cries, I'm cutting it off."

"That's okay." Hisoka sniffled. Talking to you like this wasn't what he wanted, but it helped him calm down just enough. You clicked the speaker phone on.

"Alright go ahead."

"Chouko, my baby girl, it's Daddy! Can you hear me?" She smiled and reached out for the phone with her slobbery hands.

"She's smiling and reaching out. Keep going." You encouraged Hisoka.

"How is my little butterfly baby? Are you being a good girl for Mama? Are you growing big and strong?"

"Chouko Dada-dadada!" Chouko cheered happily as she stuck the phone right into her mouth.

"Oh my... she actually did it! She said my name! She said Dada!" He was so happy he could explode right now. And then the twins sped into the dining room.

"Is Daddy on the phone right now? Let me talk to him!" Akio yelled.

"No, I want to talk to him!" Zenko ran up to you.

"You can both talk to him, just one at a time." You lightly scolded them.

"Daddy! I'm trying to get big and strong like you! I'm gonna get married to a lady like Mama and protect her like you do!" Akio was quick to recount his plans to his father. After all, it was the only thing on his mind.

"That's wonderful to hear, Akio. I'm sure you'll do an even better job than me. Zenko? Are you there too?" Hisoka asked gently.

"Yes, Daddy! I'm going to be a way better Daddy than you! I'm gonna be so strong that if we fought then I would win! But I still love you because Mama said we have to because you're Daddy."

Oh goodness~ Hisoka thought to himself, she still loves me. Thank the heavens, she still loves me. "I'm so happy to hear that, Zenko. And I wanted to apologize for scaring you. I would never hurt our family... Speaking of which, whose house are you visiting right now?"

You were caught off-guard by the question and before your brain even registered it, your thumb had hit the end call button. Probably for the best. "Alright boys, it's dinner time. Perhaps we can call him back tomorrow or before bed, okay?"

"Yes, Mama." Akio groaned, sad he hadn't gotten more time with Hisoka. Then, the rest of the Zoldyck family filtered in.

"So," You began as you sat down to be served. "How did hide and seek go?"