Chapter Three

Mum served aunty some juice, and permitted me to join in the fun. Zara was now awake but her troubles already awoken before her. She was finding joy in running from one point to another, easily distracting everyone. Mum kept laughing at her misdeeds but I wasn't finding it funny anyways. Aunty Mma loved Zara so much; well why won't she? After all she's actually her god mother. The fight for her to be Zara's god-mother was a very huge one, a story that would be told another day.

Mum and aunty was busy chatting about their everyday life, they were carefully avoiding discussing about aunt's fiancé as mum had signaled her to quit the topic after she incidentally raised it. Mum believes I was still too innocent to listen to adult talks.

She still belittles me.

I smiled at their ignorance, giving myself a mental thumbs up.

We were still having a wonderful time when we heard someone insert a key into the door knob. We were sure it wasn't dad as it was still very early for him to come home, especially as he'd been home earlier in the day.

The door creaked open and we watched surprised, as aunt Tee walked in. Everywhere instantly became silent like a grave yard.

"Good afternoon, Welcome" We chorused.

She ignored us all with a sigh, flashing aunt Mma an angry look as she walked past us. We exchanged glances with my mum's countenance changing instantly. To ease her off I guess, aunt Mma continued with her stories. Aunt Tee came back into the sitting room, catching all our attention.

"And you, what are you doing here?" She asked, pointing at aunty Mma. "I can remember clearly that my mum asked you to stay away from this family uh?"

"You should have known I'm not Nneka! And the last time I checked, your mum isn't the owner of this house! This house belongs to your brother and Nneka, and until they tell me to stop visiting, you will keep seeing me here, did you get that?" Aunty Mma fired back.

I smiled sheepishly and was certain aunty Tee noticed my pleasure. I loved aunty Mma's courage and sometimes wished my mum was built that strong.

Aunty Tee stood for some minutes staring wickedly at aunty Mma who didn't actually care as she kept trying to raise a conversation with mum. Mum typically wasn't responding to aunt Mma, which was her little way of avoiding more issues.

"I can see you've grown wings Chidinma. I do not blame you, I blame her!" auynty Tee said pointing at my mum. "She has given you so much room that you're beginning to cross boundaries. I will soon cut off those wings" She threatened.

Aunty Mma stood up in anger but mum drew her back. "Mma please, stop! I do not want problems please. I have enough already in my plate. Please pity me" Mum pleaded.

Aunty Mma was so disappointed in my mum and didn't hesitate to give her a very disappointing look. Mum could only bow her head in defeat.

"I already pity you Nneka. Oh my God! Is this what you pass through everyday? In the name of marriage? Nneka you are in bondage! Please speak up!"

Aunty Mma was so pissed. She couldn't believe that everything she'd said to my mum had only fallen on deaf ears. She continuously shook her head in displeasure and angrily picked up her bag to leave.

Aunty Tee was smiling, her hands resting firmly on her waist. I bet she was enjoying the little drama playing out between aunty Mma and my mum.

"And as for you," Aunt Mma said turning sharply to aunt Tee. "It'd do you a lot of good if you hook up with a man, have him pay your bride price, move out from here and start your own family! Stop interfering in your brother's marriage. Stop being a home breaker!"