Chapter Thirty Five

Since the news of nurse Uju's death, mum have suddenly become absorbed in her thoughts. Most times, I'll walk in on her rambling incoherent words, or even crying for nothing at all. Her response was always two words. "I'm fine!".

We stayed an extra week in the hospital which literally put me off school for over a month and Zara for a week. Aunty Tee never came around to visit mum even though I was certain she'd be getting updates about her progress. His other family members never cared to ask after her, to them it was though she never existed, like she got what she deserved. And their prayers answered.

I've tried severally to stop thinking about my dad and his family's hatred towards mum, but yet each passing second I find my mind drifting back to it.

"Why housing so much hatred for just one human?"

Eight days after she regained consciousness, Dr Ken and his team announced that her blood work was surprisingly A-okay and her general body response, marvelous. They assured us mum would be discharged in few days, and this news came as a huge relief.

But the question on everybody's lips was "From the hospital to where?"

Aunty Mma pleaded with mum to come stay with her in her three bedroom apartment. She promised to give us the master bedroom if it'll guarantee mum not going back to my dad. Mum rejected the offer.

Uncle Stan wanted mum to move in with him once she's discharged. He basically threatened to sue dad again if mum dares to go back to him. This time around, he doesn't need mum's testimony cos according to him, he's conjured up a term to fly mum's defiant attitude in. He called it Temporal Insanity or what not. To his defence, he already have heart wrenching pictures of mum from when she was in coma, after her surgeries and even from the last time she was beaten by dad. Uncle Stan made it known to mum that he was willing to dig up any defence whether crooked or not, that will make her argument for her husband appear forced and coerced. In fact, he was fuming with raging anger

Yet again, mum declined his offer, and I was losing it.

Is she planning to go back? Is she considering grandma's silly idea of fighting for a home?

Aunty Tobe was next in line, crying and letting the snots drool down her lips. She pleaded with mum to stay with her, raising her fears of not wanting to be an only daughter. She promised mum she'll be anything she wants to be and that we'll be well taken care of. She promised to ensure we'll never have the need to miss my dad as long as we remain with her.

Mum laughed, and declined. Yet again.

I was to speak. My heart burning with fury and my eyes sore with tears. "What do you want mum?" I asked locking eyes with her. "Do you still want to go back to a man that did this to you? With no remorse whatsoever?" I was crying again.

"Mummy I'm ready to sleep under the bridge, go hungry and lose this rich miserable life if that will guarantee you stay another day with me without being sad and beaten!" My eyes were on her, and she let hers rummage through them. But there was this feeling of strength I could draw from them, it was small but yet powerful that I couldn't hold unto it for long.

"Please your friend and family wants to help you. To help us mum, please let them". Aunty Mma was the first to come to me, rubbing my back soothingly. Mum smiled.

"I know you all are dead with worry but I'm fine, and these kids will be fine too!" Mum vegan but uncle couldn't stand to let her speak.

"That's bullshit Nneka!" He exploded. "Fine you say?" Aunty Mma shook her head.

"Yes!" Mum responded with a tone of finality, leaning back on her bed.

"Mum!" I lashed out. "If you're going back to dad's house then I'm not going there with you! Zara and I!"