Chapter Six

At that instant I felt this swirl of hatred bubble inside of me. I just felt like kicking her back into her room and locking her up while we leave. Those sadly, were just unrealistic imaginations which would never see the break of a new day.

Majestically, aunt Tee dragged her boxes to where mum laid ours, carefully leaning hers on mine. Then with a huge smile plastered on her lips, she trotted towards us, her eyes fixated on the numbers popping up on the television as mum tried to change the channel. Aunt Tee walked past us, making her way to the couch after ours, and settling on it.
Once mum got to Disney channel, she smiled and let it be. Scenes from Lion guard began to play, captained with the song "Hero Inside" by Bestie filling the room. I was nodding to it, smiling as I assimilated the wordings. Mum caught my happiness and smiled at me, she then leaned forward, placing the remote on the centre table before us, and leaned back on the cushion to enjoy the programme with me.

Within minutes, aunt Tee launched forward, grabbed the remote from the table and began to key in some numbers. Stealing a furious glance at mum, we waited patiently to see what channel it was.

Big Brother Naija.

Mum wouldn't have that.

"That show is rated 18 Tee, so Ada can't watch it" Mum pointed out calmly.

"Then she should go into her room" my aunt replied, unconcerned.

"I'm not going anywhere aunty, I was here before you came in. I will report you to dad if you don't let me watch my programme peacefully." I cried in defense.

She spared a mocking look at me but soon realized I meant my threats, however she never bulged.

"Please let me have the remote Tee" Mum politely asked but aunty refused handing it over, ignoring mum entirely.

"Can you then please change the channel to where it was?" Mum pleaded again which earned her a little mocking laugh, and a blatant refusal.

"I have to get updates asap, I need to know what's happening in the house. You don't know nor understand what this means but the housemates are super important." Aunt Tee said casually.

Mum went bananas and in a flash, sprang up from the couch we were sitting, rushed off to the socket and switched it off instantly.

"Yes! Better!" I screamed in excitement.

"Why did you do that?" Aunt Tee asked. Mum ignored her, walked back to couch, settling and relaxing on it. She then slowly placed her right leg over her left, leaning on the couch for maximum comfort.

Aunt Tee stared angrily at mum, with mum acting like she doesn't care. When she felt she could do nothing more, she slowly stood up and trotted towards her room, pettily taking the remote along.

In a sad response, mum could only shake her head.

"One step at a time" I said to myself. "We'll get there someday, definitely."

Just then dad drove in, and I was excited. He ran the stairs in threes, barging into the house like a starved dog. He explained how he had to drive towards the boundary of another state just to get fuel, coupled sadly with the bribe he was mandated to pay. He immediately dashed into their room, had his bath and dressed up. Outside, he began loading our luggage.

"When did you buy that box, I haven't seen it before?" He asked mum, pointing at aunty Tee's box.

"It's not mine, it's your sister's" Mum replied halfheartedly.

"And what is it doing there? Is she travelling?" He asked again.

"That's her luggage nah" Mum replied confused.