Chapter Thirty Four

Aunty Tee hasn't made a move, and her eyes still haven't left mum's body since dad walked out the door, and I really want to convince myself it was due to shock.

I slowly walked over to mum and for the first time noticed her eyes were a bit open, which made me more scared every passing second. She hasn't moved at all neither have I found a pulse since then. I've been checking every moment.

But then I remembered.

I raced up to their room, my eyes combing the entire wildly lit area, as they frantically searched for mum's phone. It wasn't there.

Frustrated, I turned to leave when my eyes caught hold of her black handbag sitting on the padded reading table by the window. I hurried over to it and almost ripped it open. My hands ransacked the entire bag but was disappointed when I found nothing. I hurried over to her other bags but found nothing in them all. I ran out again.

Aunty Tee was still standing as I left her. Transfixed.

I ran over to mum's side, my hands running over her body but saw nothing. Her black plain trouser had no front pocket but I guessed it might have behind. Her shirt had a shallow pocket slightly above the trim and they both had nothing in them. I tried moving mum over but couldn't, she must have weighed a tonne. I glanced up at aunt Tee but saw her as a helpless case. Her eyelids I believe haven't batted once since she became like this. She can't be of any help now.

Taking strong breaths, I grabbed mum by the shirt and pulled with all my strength. And she toppled over, her body coming down on my legs. I struggled defiantly until I freed my legs before crouching lightly above her. There, still stuck in that small back trouser pocket was her phone. It was exuding bright blue light which signaled a recent activity. I pulled it out to notice a crack on the screen.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the functionality.

Just a glance on the screen showed mum had missed eight calls, from no other person than aunty Mma.

How could I not have heard it ring?

Scared, I tapped on the missed call and her number popped up, the phone asking if it should redial. I clicked yes and watched as it went through.

"Hello? You scared me to death!...."

"Aunty, it's me Ada. Please...

"Where's your mum? She called and.. "

"My mum is....dead?" The last word sounded more like a question than a statement.

Pause.

"What?" She was calm. "Is this a wrong number or... "

"You need to come now... "

"Ada." She paused. "I'm already on your street. Come open the gate. And Hurry" She was cracking up. I could hear it.

I can't remember ending the call as I tossed the phone on mum's body, racing past aunt Tee like a breeze. She was still transfixed.

Aunt Mma didn't even wait for the gate to be fully open before racing in. Her door flying open as soon as the car came to a halt.

I turned to push the gate close but her command was sharp and unnerving.

"Leave. That. Gate. Open.!" She screamed racing up the stairs. I obeyed and followed behind.

Her ignition was still on with her door wide open. As I burst through the open door, I found her cradling mum and sobbing silently into her bosom.

Then she glanced up. "I can feel something." She announced, a streak of happiness appearing and quickly disappearing from her eyes. She rested her ears on mum's bosom again and smiled up. "I think I can hear something. Let's go!" She screamed standing up. Like a flash, she pulled and tossed her shoes off her legs and without another word scooped mum up.