Chapter Forty One

A loud and impatient knock on the door had me scampering to it.

How did I sleep off in all these mess? When mum wasn't home yet?

The room was pitch dark with the dim rays of light that had been poorly illuminating the compound earlier, gone. What could the time be now?

The knock came on again but this time gentler.

"Who's there?" I asked scared. I was already behind the door with my hand laced on it's knob ready to pull it open in case it was mum.

No response.

"Is that you mummy?" I heard Zara ask almost screaming.

I thought she was asleep?

"Yes baby. Open up!" Even though mum was still behind the door, I couldn't help but notice the smile in her house as she responded to Zara's question. Her voice brought a sudden wash of relief over me.

Happily, I unbolted and pulled the door open to a bright torchlight. Mum was sweating, a huge carton lay beside her with another large black nylon laying on the floor. Zara didn't wait before running into her open arms.

"Welcome mum." I greeted as she pulled me into a hug. My intestines sat still at her touch and all pangs of hunger flew away as my eyes beheld her strength.

"I'm so sorry baby for coming late." She said loosing her grip on me. "I'm sure you both must be hungry now, tea isn't really a meal one can hold unto for such a long while." She added dragging the carton inside while Zara trotted behind. I smiled up at her, taking two steps to the door so as to bring the bag in. It looked pretty heavy. I slammed the door shut.

Safe inside, mum gently took the bag from me, her eyes lighting up with smiles and adoration as she held unto it. I smiled too and nodded, not because she said a word but because my eyes and heart could understand more than the thousand words she didn't say.

"I bought Agidi jollof cos I was certain both of you would be hungry. I'm famished too and it's being long I had it." Mum announced excitedly. Zara squealed in happiness and began jumping up and about which made mum smile the more.

My intestines growled at the mention of food and the aroma flowing into my nostrils when mum unwrapped a piece for Zara made me want to snatch it outright. I watched in gluttony as Zara's tender teeth pierce into the soft meal, swallowing hard as she joyfully munches on, running her tongue through her lips just to draw in tiny stray particles.

"Have one baby" Mum said drawing my attention to her arm which had an already unwrapped yellow coloured agidi on it's palm and stretched out to me. I could see the visible tiny pieces of grounded peppers scantily scattered in it, including the alluring brisket bone protruding from a corner.

"Thanks" I muttered taking it and hungrily shoving it into my mouth.

"I didn't realize you would be this hungry" Mum said laughing. "Guess you're growing daily that the tea couldn't hold you a bit".

"Ada gave me tea. Her own" Zara spilled which obviously took mum unawares. She stopped unwrapping the meal and stared up at me. I could see the hurt in her eyes...

"You mean you've not taken anything since morning? You've been starving?" I didn't need to be told that mum was hurting deeply. I lacked words and explanation, not because I did wrong but because I know not how to make her understand it wasn't her making. It wasn't her fault.

"It's okay mum. I'm fine really. I thought Zara would need it more than I so I kept it for her, and it did really work mum as you can see, Zara is pretty happy"