Chapter Twenty Nine

Slowly, dad lifted up the bowl and in there sat the most beautiful large-sized cupcake I've ever seen. It was floral pink with a shiny gold fondant designed as a swirl above it, just like the tip of an ice-cream cone. At the fore tip of the swirl stood a small pink birthday candle, it's wick burning lazily.

I was wide eyed, mum was too.

Turning to dad, mum saw him rubbing his hands together, a beautiful smile playing out on his lips.

"This... This is awesome!" She said squeezing dad's shoulder, and without waiting for a response, leaned closer and kissed him. Zara clapped.

Dad's smile grew deeper, his eyes flashing in happiness as they looked up at me.

"Do you like it?"

"It's simple and beautiful dad, I wasn't expecting this." I replied catching his gaze. "Thank you".

"Sorry your birthday was ruined. I just wanted to make this one special, just us as a family" He said.

"Thanks dad" I said again and this time, really meaning it.

"Make a wish and blow it out" Mum screeched, absolute excitement taking over her.

"Yes baby, it's time" Dad said clasping his hands together.

Without wasting another minute, I shut my eyes and made a solemn wish, and then, blew the little light off. My wish was for this, this new found happiness to last, all our lifetime.

Mum, Zara and dad laughed as they clapped their hands, some people around clapped too, and watching people join in our small celebration, made it much more amazing.

"So what did you wish for?" Mum couldn't wait to ask.

"That should be a secret mum!" I quickly replied smiling. She cast me the "please tell me look" but I just ignored, smiling silly.

"So is it time to cut this little.... uh?" Dad asked, his eyes fixated on the cake.

"Dad it really seems you've devoured this cake spiritually eh, how can you be staring at it like that?" I joked. He laughed.

"It's inviting I must confess, and I really want to taste it" He answered amidst short laughter.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I asked, placing my hand on the fancy knife locked into the cake.

"Let's sing first" Mum said and I listened as they croaked out a "happy birthday song" to me. I didn't want to laugh but I was forced to. Such voices though. Tuface got nothing on them...

As the song came to an end, I pushed the knife down and cut the cake. They clapped again even though dad stopped at the first round. Picking up the knife, he sliced out a little part and without wasting a second, slipped it into his widely parted lips.

"This is wonderful" He managed to say with a full mouth. "Try it hun" He sliding the knife to mum. Mum shrugged and cut out a little for herself but when she munched on it, she was quick to come for another.

"I can confidently say that this is the very best cake I've tasted all my life" She said as she sliced out some more.

"That means the chefs here make better cakes than you" Dad said, more of a fact than a question. Mum cast him an angry stare but he was quick to defend himself.

"You said so yourself."

"How?, mum asked feigning annoyance.

"You did say now that this is the best cake you've ever tasted, didn't you?" He was smiling crookedly at mum who was still munching on the cake she'd forced into her mouth.