Chapter Forty Nine

"Let's go please" The Doc said walking down the hallway. Stealing a last glance at Aunty Mma, I followed the Doc while holding unto Zara. Three steps away, I glanced behind to find aunty still standing. Like a statue.

"Aunty?" I called out watching as she jerked, a sign that she'd been absentminded all these while. Nodding, she swiftly made her way towards us.

Aunty Mma was surprised to see a heavily pregnant figure laying on the hospital bed. The doctor was holding the door open for us to come in, his eyes watching mum keenly. Aunty didn't know whether to be happy or sad as all sorts of emotion danced round her face. Taking quiet steps towards the bed, she leaned closer and gave mum a happy but gentle hug.

"Silly you Nneka. Very silly you!" She said playfully.

Mum didn't respond. Her chest lifting higher and lower in a graceful rhythm.

"She needs her rest, so do not wake her up" The Doc said moving away from the door. We nodded.
"And I'll instruct the nurse to prepare a list of what we've done so far so you can get an idea of the cost". He added and Aunty nodded again.

"Will mummy be alright Ada?" Zara asked, her eyes fixed on mum whose only sign of being alive was the rising and falling of her chest.

"The doctor says so Zara, we can only hope and pray" I answered, my eyes slowly filling with tears.

"But what if she doesn't? Does that mean we'll go back to daddy?"

I glanced at her and at that moment realised there was such a possibility. Even though tiny, but it's still there.
What if this happens? Will I ever forgive dad? I shook my head to cast away such feelings. Mum must live, she has to.

"Let's not think about that Zara, mum will be fine. For our sake"

"I hope so. I do not want to go back to daddy" She muttered, her head resting on my hips.

Her words caught me off guard. All her life, we've treated her as a baby and never for once thought about the effect our family drama would be having on her. Hearing her openly despise dad has showed me how much she has grown. Zara isn't a baby anymore as she's forcefully growing up, with her childhood been snatched from her, just like me. And right now I can say, she doesn't deserve to live with this burden.

I rubbed her shoulders, my eyes darting up to see aunty Mma who is sitting beside mum. She was holding unto mum's hand, making a silent prayer. I led Zara to them and silently we prayed too.
*****

I took aunty Mma to our abode on her request and she nearly puked. She couldn't believe for a second where and how we were living.

"Pack your things, everything!" she screamed, s single streak of tear rolling down her cheek. "Whether your mum likes it or not, you all are coming to stay with me" she added firmly.

A part of me was happy as I was definitely tired of living from hand to mouth, but the other part kept feeling sad for how mum would feel.

With the doctor's permission, we had left Zara with mum while I took aunty to our house. At first I didn't want to, but seeing how weak and frail mum is, and the stress she'd subjected herself to all because of us, forced me into the decision. I hate going against mum, I despise disobeying her but since her separation from dad, she's been forcing herself to become accustomed to pain. It's as if she deliberately chose this pain so as to numb the pain deep down her heart. A pain caused by my dad. I think I'm beginning to understand my mum.

An almost inaudible knock on the door had both of us turning towards it. Whoever it was didn't wait for a response before pushing the door open.

Our neighbour turned mum's helper, the receptionist.