Chapter Thirty Two

At first mum's lips curved into an infectious smile, but this smile quickly vanished as it came, with pure horror suddenly taking over her expression. Quickly, she put the pencil down on the diner and slid her hands towards my sister.

She helped Zara sit up and with little effort, guided her to herself. Close enough, she lifted her up and gently placed her on her laps. Then she forced a weak smile while trying to play with her hair.

"Oh mummy, I want to write one" Zara protested.

"You will sweetie but mummy wants to tell you something" Mum said scooping her chin up and turning her head a little so she could face her.

"Mmm...okay" Zara replied reaching for a blue crayon she'd tossed on the table earlier on. Grabbing it, she began drawing on mum's cloth, laughing at the faint marks it made. "It's fine mummy?" She was smiling up at mum. Mum nodded, still holding unto a weak smile.

"You know baby, mummy loved what you said!" Mum began.

"My crayon?"

"No... Yes I love your crayon but I love what you said first more" Mum was loosing it. Zara seemed confused as she glared at mum, her scanty little brows slightly arching to express her confusion.

"About you loving me as daddy loves aunty...Chioma" Obviously the name was so hard for mum to say aloud, the heaviness was evident in the manner she pronounced it.

"Oh... " Zara was smiling. "My daddy likes aunty Chioma and I will like you like that mummy" She repeated jumping down from mum's lap and running after a crayon that had fallen off the table.

Mum was quiet. Too quiet.

Zara ran back to mum again after picking up the crayon, she spread her arms wide signaling for mum to carry her. Mum gently lifted her up and placed her on her laps again.

"Why do you say that baby?" She asked lovingly stroking her hair.

Zara's expression darkened. It was as though mum's words hurt her. "That I like you?"

"No no baby. Not that." Mum replied, planting a kiss on her cheek. She blushed. "I meant why do you say that daddy loves aunty Chioma?"

"NEPA!!!!" Zara's happy screams filled the air as the light bulbs flickered on, signaling that the light has been restored. This little excitement disrupted her conversation with mum, forcefully stopping her from responding to mum's important questions.

She raced down from mum's laps and began running around the sitting room, her hands lifted above her head. She ran over to me, dragging and pulling my hands while begging me to stand.

"Cartoon Ada, cartoon!" She cried.

Exhaling tired breaths, I shook my head in anger, standing and walking over to the socket and switching it on.

"Yes!!!!" Another round of excitement erupted as the UPS beeped on.

Mum gently walked over to us, her expression filled with worry.

"Zara... "

"Mum see!" She screeched pointing at the light bulb. "It's light!"

"Okay Zara, I've seen it but you'll have to answer me before the cartoon comes on, okay?"

She shook her head.

"Then Ada will have to switch the TV off, eh?"

She shook her head again.

"So you'll tell mummy right?"

"You won't be my friend again" Her face was pale. "And I won't like you as dad liked aunty Chioma!"