Chapter Forty Five

Mum returned my stare, confusion and surprise etched all over her face. I lowered my head to the carpet, letting more worries and sad thoughts creep up my heart.

"Why..why are you crying? Why these tears?" Mum asked, placing her left arm round my shoulder. Her words stung me hard, forcing the tears to fall even more. Reluctantly, I gave her a quick glance before lowering my head again to the carpet, and shoving my two palms in between my laps.

"Oh my God Ada, what's going...?"

"Yes! Uh....Yes I've noticed mum." I began drawing the snots back in. "I've noticed you've been adding weight. Excessively mum" I said looking up at her. "Then your legs, they sometimes get swollen especially in the morning when you've just woken up, and.....and you're pale... Like colourless mum" I cried more.

"Oh you've been more than observant Ada, but why are you.... "

"Is it what is it mum?" I asked, pushing my butt a bit farther from her so I could mirror her face.

"What do you mean?" Mum's face was more of confusion than worry.

"Is it what I think it is?" I asked again, the tears rolling down uncontrollably.

"Ada... "

"I've read up these signs mum, I used my classmate's phone in school and it...it is...." I couldn't say more words.

"Ada what are you talking about? What is... "

"Mum are you sick? Are you dying?" I asked, trying so hard to recollect myself.

Mum went paler. A look of shock, bewilderment, amazement and worry colouring up her face instantly. "What in the world is going up in your head?" She asked in a low but harsh voice. "I'm not dying, I'm not sick Ada, I'm just pregnant!"

I froze. My world stopped moving, and maybe my heart paused too.

Pregnant? Just....pregnant?" I asked,   with a feel of calmness returning to my heart. Mum nodded, her brows drawn together in a questioning way.

"You... You mean you're fine and...and" I stuttered, my eyes instinctively lowering to her stomach. As though mirroring my eyes, her right hand gently went over there, resting and caressing it.

"Yes Ada" She replied calmly. "But what in the world were you thinking? Who burrowed this silly idea into your skull?"

I slowly moved my head from side to side, shaking it in response, and in happiness. Happiness on the realization that mum was fine, and that I was just worrying for nothing.

"I read of how organ breakdown can cause those mum. The weakness you've been experiencing lately, everything mum and I thought... "

"And you kept your worries... I mean these thoughts to yourself? Why didn't you confide in me? Ask me?"

"I was scared of the truth. About what you'll tell me?"

"And how did you end up at this point? What led you to this? This research?" Mum queried.

"At school." I replied lowering my eyes to the carpet again, silently tracing the lines of the flowers at it's edge. I seem to find solace in the beauty of these blossoming flowers and they do a good job in relaxing my nerves. "We were recently taught health and hygiene, and on the course of the lecture, some signs of life threatening ailments were listed which matched exactly what I've noticed with you."

"So?" She asked, not relenting.

"I was worried and begged Mmaugo my classmate to help with her phone. I turned to google and... and... "

"And you couldn't come to me Ada, Eh? I thought you promised to share your worries with me?" She asked sadly, and I nodded.

"Sorry mum" I apologised. "But.. "

Mum kept mute to let me speak but I didn't know how to ask. Then she nudged my shoulder, a little gentle push which forced it all out.

"But how can you be pregnant mum? Dad isn't here. You... You..." I paused, staring up at her, but all I could see were smiles.

"I understand your worries but you don't have to be" Mum replied squeezing my shoulder. "It's your dad's, I didn't want to believe it at first... "

"You mean you've known for a while?" I asked and she nodded.

"Right from the hospital. I'm even surprised I didn't loose it,  I guess that's why I didn't take it to heart." She paused and continued "When I awoke on that hospital bed and was ambushed with the info that I'd been in coma for weeks, the first thing I thought of was my period. I asked Mma if I bled but she said no, right there I suspected I might be pregnant even though I wasn't excited"

I glanced at mum. She caught my glance and held onto it but I was quick to pull away.

"Yes, who would be Ada?. I thought I'd lose it after your dad's brutality but I guess heaven has other plans."

I was silent for a while before speaking. "How long... Uh... I meant... "

"How far gone I am?" Mum asked sweetly. I nodded, embarrassed.

"Seventeen weeks..."

"Can you put it in months?"

"Just over four months" Mum was laughing. "But I don't know why I'm just exploding. For you and Zara, it wasn't like this"

"Can't it mean something? Don't you think you should go to the hospital?" I asked worried.

Mum smiled and squeezed my shoulder more. "Stop worrying your young heart and relax. Mum is an old cargo in this."

"But still mum... You still need medical help. Okay at least you can register for ante... ante what again sef?" I asked, trying to remember what it's called. We've been taught that in my former school and it sounded really strange.

"Antenatal?" mum asked and I nodded looking up at her. "The only health centre here is miles away with no accessible road. Visiting there automatically means I must require the services of a motorcyclist which isn't ideal for my condition now." She paused before continuing. "And that hospital behind your school is quite expensive.  I was there few days ago and couldn't believe the atrocious processes and fees they charge. Right now, we can't afford the consultation fee not to mention the antenatal registration. So I'm saving up to register with them next month" She explained.

"Until then?" I asked again.

"I'll just have to make do with the usual routine drugs till I'm able to afford a hospital."

"Oh... " I replied, my face still resting on the carpet. "But your job, business and..... Won't it bother your condition?"

Mum smiled again. "I'll take it easy, and you'll help out more". I agreed.
*****

Hi all

Good morning and kindly wake up to this update 😂 😂

Another short chapter 😂

So? You all are amazing. I'm surprised how you predicted correctly that she was pregnant 👏 👏 . Well-done people.

So, how is it gonna be? Can she pull all these off?

And, while younger or even older, have you ever assumed something worse from a simple situation just like Ada did? Share with me pleaseee

So it's gonna be a great day for us... All round blessings people

Vote
Comment
Recommend

Till next time