Chapter Five

Peace seems to have returned to our home as mum gradually applied all principles dished out by grandma. Now, she and dad even laugh, play games and sit like they used to. I was joyful with this development since sleep was starting to elude me due to their constant fights.

Aunty Tee on the other hand having realized mum was avoiding her changed for the worse, but mum being wiser still kept her at arms length.

Weeks later, the term ended.

The thought of spending quality time with mum at home excited me, but the persistent thought of how she belittles me made me sad. I was practically behaving like an adult just to get mum to share her problems with me, but obviously I can never grow in her eyes.

As usual, I took the second position and mum was satisfied with it. Dad acted being cool with my performance even though it was glaring he would've been more impressed if I'd taken the first position. Since the new girl, Amanda was introduced to our class three terms ago, I'd been dethroned to the second best. No matter how much I tried, she's always one step ahead. Amanda seems to be so keen on clinching onto the first title until she gets grey hairs, but that actually isn't my problem now.

Earlier in the term, dad had promised to take us on a family trip during the holidays if I take the first position. With my result, I'd conditioned my mind that the family trip was cancelled. Well dad had other plans as he announced that evening that we were still on for the trip.

Mum was so excited that she kept singing throughout the day. I knew her happiness wasn't just about the trip, it's the fact that she was going to leave Aunty Tee for at least three weeks to be with her real family. I was excited as well.

"When is the trip brother?" Aunt Tee asked as she made her way noisily into the sitting room. We'd just finished dinner and was laughing about Cedric's clumsy falls in a new episode of the cartoon, Sofia the first. Aunty's question took us all by surprise and instantly killed the happy family moment we were enjoying.

Mum was sitting on the floor and resting her head in between dad's laps. She looked up at her husband who returned her glance before replying his sister's question.

"In two days time."

"Okay" Aunty Tee said, turning to go back to her room

"Why do you ask Tee?" Dad inquired.

"So I can reschedule my plans and pack earlier as well" She replied.

Immediately, I lost interest in the programme and turned to my dad, staring hard at him. Mum was staring too with our stare obviously putting him in a very confusing position. I was certain he understood the meaning of our stare but still chose to stay mute.

Aunty Tee left to her room, her exit forcing me to spring up from where I sat.
"Goodnight" I murmured, dragging Zara up to our room. I slammed the door so hard, instantly satisfying my boiling rage with the deafening sound it made. I bolted it immediately to avoid any knocks and explanations. I was boiling in fury.

"How could dad be this weak when it comes to Aunty Tee? Why can't he just look beyond his wife's fake smiles and see how her heart beats for happiness?" I murmured leading Zara to her bed. Once I tucked her to sleep, I threw myself on my bed, letting the tears fall free, wetting my cheeks.

Right now, I hated dad the more. The little affection I'd developed these few days just vanished into thin air. I hated myself at that moment and queried God on why I was born into my family. I couldn't help it as I cried the more. The frustration was overwhelming and it was slowly turning into intense hatred towards dad and aunt Tee. I subsequently resolved there and then never to join in that trip again, if aunty Tee was going with us.