Chapter Nineteen

Aunty Mma was glad to hear from mum, but after mum disclosed why she called, aunty became sick with worry. I'd expected her to run over to the house but she didn't, and I guess it's cos she was banned from coming. She however promised mum to look into the reason behind dad's attitude and get back to her, her tone holding lots of promises.

I was happy.

Mum and I knew dad was cheating, though she's still hung up on a tiny streak of hope that he isn't.

Few days rushed past like harmattan breeze, bearing no words from aunty Mma. I was counting the days religiously, worried that she hadn't called.

On the ninth day, she was standing at our door step, her big black shade covering those big bold eyes. She wore a white based flowered chiffon top on a black penciled skirt which clung onto her curves, revealing all its beauty. Her silver purse glittered through her palm, her car key dangling between her fingers. Her skin was fair as a fairy, her chubbiness making them more obvious. Her silhouette black heels not even making a sound as she walked past me.

How does she walk like that?

On those heels?

I'll definitely fall off, like face flat.... If I ever try.

My mum's friend lives up to her name, Mma; cos she's beautiful in and out!

And she's my idol!

I smiled to myself watching her behind sway effortlessly as she walked, like a royal queen she is. Her defiant nature protruding, yelling "hey I'm here, now do your worst!"

Right now, she didn't mind whether she was banned from coming over or not, all that mattered at this moment was my mum.

Mum should really be grateful she has her. I hope to find a friend like her someday...

I followed behind as soon as I had the door locked. Aunty was settling on the couch next to mum when I walked in, and not wanting to give them privacy, or even wanting them to say it, I slipped into the couch opposite them, my eyes resting on our visitor.

I wasn't leaving even if they asked!

Aunty Mma smiled at me, a smile which melted the knot that had started to build in my stomach as I wondered if they'll ask me to leave.

Lifting her gaze off me, she rested it on mum and without warning drew her close to herself, wrapping her hand around her.

I could see her throat move up, and then down as she swallowed hard spits before opening her mouth to speak.

"He's cheating" She was blunt as ever. Not even trying to sugar coat it.
"With her" She added rubbing mum's  back.

I blinked.

And blinked again, but harder this time as the pain shoots up in my heart like an arrow, piercing and tearing it apart. This pain forced me to release the breath I never knew I was holding, making me to exhale loudly.

And the tears formed, my eyes blurry and my heart beating sporadically.

"Why am I surprised?" I murmured to myself. "Why am I hurt? Why am I crying?" I kept asking. "it's not as if I hadn't felt it, or known it, then why does it hurt?"

When I lifted my eyes, I saw those four eyes staring up at me, and at that moment I realised that just like mum, I had secretly and subconsciously wished dad wasn't cheating, that he was innocent. I had wished it was just business that was keeping him away from home.

Mum wasn't making a sound, but her eyes were. The silent trail of warm tears trickling down her cheeks, even though I could see a distant smile plastered on her lips.