Chapter Nine

Around past five in the evening, we heard the sound of dad's car zoom into the compound. As he walked through the door, it was obvious from his countenance that he was in a great mood. Mum was quick to walk up to him, her lips curving into a smile as she walked, with her hands reaching out and rounding his dark neck affectionately. Dad smiled back, holding her rounded waist and pulling her towards him. After their usual hugs, he announced to mum that Tee had earlier brought the interior decorator to his workplace. He further explained her ideas and the level they were at in regards to the home decoration. Mum was skeptical though excited at the thought of the new home, however she made sure her skepticism about the decorator were held at bay.

Dad was pleased with how mum received the news, and therefore quickly announced his assurance of her capability.

"I believe she'll deliver honey, so I took the liberty of inviting her to dinner tomorrow". He said beaming with smiles. "It'll give you the opportunity to meet with her and maybe provide additional details which you would want the house to possess".

Mum was surprised though she never acted it. She nodded heartily as her heart throbbed at the thought of the house designs. She was delighted that at least her opinion will count in choosing the colors, drawings and other details of the house. Mum has this particular interest in the children’s room as according to her, there's this perfect picture of how it would look like which has been occupying her mind for a very long time. Everyone was jubilant especially me, as we all awaited the meeting with the interior decorator.

Tomorrow came as fast as we'd hoped, with mum hopping round the house fixing the meal. By evening, mum had prepared a sumptuous dinner of semo, vegetable soup and fruits. She even took time to prepare cabbage swallow in event our decorator turns out to be a keto sister since the keto lifestyle has suddenly become the fast trending way of living.

Finally, around past nine, dad drove into the compound, with our long awaited guest. Mum, Zara and I were seated nervously in the sitting room with grandma and aunty Tee gossiping in her room. The sound of dad's car brought them out in a flash.

One thing you would notice easily about this lady was her very curvy waist which was glaringly bewitching. Aunt Tee went over to welcome her as she stepped in with dad. She was all smiles, her smile truly captivating. Mum exchanged pleasantries with her, quickly offering her a seat. She nodded cheerfully while returning mum's smile. Happily, everyone chose their seats, Zara and I didn't leave mum's side as we clung to her.

Like magic, we heartily chatted with our visitor, and she was free to respond to every single question thrown her way. She expressed her pleasure on the choice of our cushion, wall color, art paintings and commended mum for keeping the house neat and new. Mum laughed at her compliments as they began to bond in an instant. While chatting, we waited for dad to quickly shower and join the table for dinner.

Soon after, dad walked in majestically with the alluring scent of his masculine cologne enveloping the entire atmosphere. Obviously, he was surprised to see my inquisitive self awake, but to my defence, I wasn't going to leave the beauty of my room in the hands of a stranger. No way!

While having dinner, everyone conversed about the new house. Our decorator kindly raised suggestions which dad mostly agreed with. Mum on the other hand calmly detailed her on what she expects especially in her kitchen and children’s room. I was very pleased with mum’s choice as I kept imagining the whole room in my head. I however added some personal details like my foot and hand print, as well as that of Zara’s. To our decorator it was weird as she cautioned against it but mum agreed to my suggestion and implored her to make it look like a footstep in progress, beginning with those of Zara from the bottom of the wall and leading to mine at the top. I loved her idea so much as I pleaded with dad to do it. Mum requested for a light and dark purple combo for our wall painting, with additional flowers at the base appearing like a sprouting garden. She also requested for beautiful cartoon drawings on the wall which I was certain will entice Zara. Dad smiled to that which signaled an approval.