Chapter Forty Two

Early the next morning, I awoke to find mum already up, washing and disinfecting the convenience. When she turned around to see me leaning on the door frame, she gave me a beautiful smile which prompted my lips to spread wider into a smile.

I acted ignorant about her crying last night, i didn't want to be burdened with the fact that I'd seen her tears.

Laying back on the bed, I kept mute as I listened intently on the muffled sobs coming from mum. I'd wanted to sit up and lay my hand on her shoulder, or maybe squeeze them a little to assure her I was right there with her. But then, I thought against it.She needs this, she needs to let the pains all out.

"You're awake baby, won't you say good morning to mum?" She asked smiling.I laughed.

"Sorry, Good morning mum". I greeted walking over to kiss her cheek. I didn't mind she was cleaning the toilet.

I kept my right ear glued to the bed, while my left stood up to listen to her cry. Even though I knew it was her weakest moment, I still felt her strength right deep inside me. It hurts, hurts really bad watching her cry and doing nothing about it. Then I thought of my dad, he actually  is mean.

"You can light up the stove and boil some water with the empty pot. The weather is cold and you and Zara needs to bath"

"Okay." I replied, turning and walking briskly to the end of the room where we'd turned to our kitchen last night. I crouched over the stove, searching frantically for where mum kept the matches.

After minutes of silent sob, and still being unaware that I was awake and listening, I heard mum's feet shuffle on the floor. I held my breath as I closed my eyes, my ears still propped open to absolve any sound. Seconds later, I felt a mild thud which forced my eyes to fly open but was relieved to see it was only her knees. The room was dimly lighted up now with the candle wick burning lazily beside her. I shut my eyes again.

Finding and picking up the match box which was kept at a corner on the spread piece of carton on which the stove sat, I slide it open and took out a match stick and with it, lighted the stove. Retrieving the pot from the stack sitting beside the spread carton, I rinsed and poured some water into the pot before gently placing it on the stove. Settled, I walked over to where the broom stood at the edge behind the door and retrieved it.

"I'll sweep the room while you finish up with your washing" I murmured to mum who laughed a bit.

"That's great, thank you!"

With her knees kissing the floor, mum sobbed some more before finding her words. Slowly she began to mutter them and no matter how much I strained my ears, I couldn't make out what she was saying. She would talk inaudibly and then cry softly. Feeling that my left ear wasn't doing the job perfectly, I pretended as though deep asleep and gently rolled over, this time puting my right ear up.  I guess mum paused, watching to see if she'd awoken me. To encourage her to continue, I began to fake a snore which subsided immediately she began to talk again.

"I really need to hurry up or I'll be late for my appointment." Mum said a bit louder so I'd hear.

I stopped sweeping. "Appointment?"

She turned to me and nodded. "That's mainly why I was late yesterday." She paused. "Ngozi spoke to a customer of hers about my need for a job and I met with him yesterday." She turned to the WC and continued with what she was doing.

"And? Mum?" My excitement was growing.

"Oh! He said I was overqualified for the position" And my excitement evaporated immediately.

"What does that mean mum? Isn't it a good thing? You can still get the job then? It's better overqualified than underqualified? Isn't it?"

"It's not how it works baby" Her voice was low.