Chapter Sixty

*Emeka*

"So, are you saying there's no way you can help? Or maybe someone you can link me up with?" I asked, disappointment laced in my tone.

"I wish there was. It's been ages I last spoke with her. Sorry" The voice at the other end replied, apologetically. I paused.

"Thanks" I mumbled seconds later, lowered the phone from my ear and tapped the red dot ending the call. I tossed the phone angrily on the bed, scratching my aching head frustratingly.

This was the seventh mutual friend of ours I'd contacted, and all of them had confessed to not knowing anything about Nneka. About my kids. It's as if everyone of them turned their backs on her once the news of our separation hit the streets. Humans!

Since the last time my own daughter indirectly walked me out of their house, and with utmost seriousness asked me to stay off their life, I'd been feeling depressingly lonely. Nothing seems to sweeten my life anymore, not even Nkay.

On Nkay's part, she's noticed the growing distance between us and had confronted me severally, but I've never been able to tell her the truth. I couldn't bring myself to let her know the I abandoned my wife, my children, my own family, my flesh and blood. What had even come over me then?

My Adaoma is all grown up now, and she really took after me. Her actions speaks volume of whom I used to be. So stubborn, so strong willed. I know myself, and I understood her. I knew she meant ever word she said, every threat she issued.

I slumped onto my bed, my head spinning like a ferocious wheel. I've overburdened the poor thing with my desperate and endless search for something or someone that I could call for help.

And right then, it just clicked.

I've been so very stupid to forget the easiest person I could reach, someone that would make this reunion work without any stress, and that single thought just lightened up my mood.

My Mother in-law.

Even though I'm certain she'll make this work, but I still understood that she'll first of all make me realize my mistakes, so I needed to visit her with someone more reasonable than I am. And no one can be more humble than my bosom friend, Daniel.

The problem was more of how I was going to approach my once best friend after so many years of silence on my part. Maltreating and abandoning my wife and family had cost me my relationship with him, which at that time meant nothing to me, but looking back now, I'd say I was the biggest fool.

Does he still have my number? And if he does, would he even take my calls?

Saying a heartfelt but silent prayer, I snatched my phone from the bed and dialled him.

He answered. On the first ring.

"Hello" His deep voice came on.

I was shocked. And didn't just know how to begin.

"Emeka?" His voice was clearer this time.

I froze. He still had my number. After almost seven years?

"I'm so sorry man" That was all I could say.

He chuckled. "To what do I owe this call?" His tone was lighter. I could sense a bit of laughter.

"Bro I need you. Desperately." I pleaded.

"Are you okay? What's going on?" He asked, a lot worried.

"It's not something we can discuss on phone, can we meet up?" I begged.

"if you're in Portharcourt, choose a venue and I'll be there in ten minutes"