Chapter Twenty Three

I was so hurt. Everyone had already judged us to be the bad egg. Everyone is now at liberty to see mum and her children as obstinate unsupportive while his family has become his saving grace.

This unwanted greeting demoralized mum the more. Is this how birthdays ought to be?

In the next minute, everyone had filed out of the massive church building, except us of course. Dad has left with his siblings and Eby and for the second time, I was grateful we had aunty Mma.

The drive to the new house was quiet with negative energy hovering in the atmosphere. Mum couldn't pull herself together even though her tears has stopped to fall.

Everything was in place when we got there with everyone charming with big bold smiles plastered on their lips.

"You have to beat them in this game. You must have to act like all is fine" Aunty Mma said as mum and I step out of the car. I didn't need to be told twice as I garnered all my strength, appearing as bold as I could muster.

"You don't look like you're older than me with a year, you still look beautiful and those reds makes you appear alien" I said to mum. She tilted her head towards me, expressionless. "I mean you can get in there and get any man you want, just make sure you pick a wealthy one, I don't want to worry my beauty head about where my next meal will come from"

Mum was dazed, but burst out laughing.

I knew I needed to make her laugh, to save her. I needed her to understand she's beautiful, and strong, and charming.

"We need to go in" Aunty Mma said, her lips twitching in smiles. Her eyes bore the words 'thank you'. I just nodded.

We volunteered to support her walk but she wouldn't have it. "I have to walk on my own. Even though I might be slow, I still want to do it" She said with a tone of finality. We let her be.

We majestically made an entrance into the compound. It was more beautiful than I remembered it. I'd certainly give it to Miss Eby, It was a great work. My own designer had designed my little canopy just the way I requested and had already placed the balloons, chairs and my full length banner. The music was very loud. Deafening I must confess.

One more step and our eyes locked with my dad’s mum. She went haywire on seeing aunty Mma, and like a raging tiger rushed towards us.

"Leave this compound now!" She ordered, standing right in her face.

"And she goes no where!" Mum replied stepping in between them. Mum wasn’t shivering unlike before and looked ready for the worst.

The commotion attracted some invitees, aunty Tee and dad was there in a flash.

“Nneka, quietly ask your friend to leave. She isn’t invited cos I can't remember doing that! Dad ordered.

“Yes you didn’t Emeka, I did, so she stays” Mum replied and held aunty’s hand, leading her in.

“This is my house and my law stands. She isn’t welcomed!" Dad barked. I watched as his eyes flickered to aunty Mma. "Chidinma  please leave!” He commanded, showing her the gate.

By now everyone was gathered on the spot, with some politely asking our visitor to leave.

Aunty Mma didn’t want to cause any further damage, so she pleaded with mum to let her go.

Mum flashed her an angry look, and held her hand more firmly while staring dad in the face. Just then Zara came running to mum and mum held her with her other hand, lifted her easily and landed her on her shoulder.