Chapter Fifty Nine

Just when I'd quickly adjusted to the fact that mum was handling her encounter with dad really well, her energy began to dwindle; and dad's frequent unannounced visits to her office apparently wasn't helping matters at all.

First was the rapid change in her moods. Lately, it's beginning to feel like she's intentionally placing herself in isolation, smartly dodging any contact with the inside and outside world, especially with me. She would ignore her business calls and the few she'd manage to take, she'd end up turning down whatsoever deal they were bringing in.

It was depressing.

Her office wasn't left out. In the space of three weeks, she'd taking a french leave of over eight days with no tangible reason whatsoever.

I wasn't blind to all of these, I'd noticed them but was lost on how best to approach her without sending her off the ledge. A subtle manner in which she wouldn't feel bombarded with questions or being pushed around. This would actually count as one of those times I really desired aunty Mma's brutal but yet effective methods of handling mom's weaknesses.

Sighing, I leaned on the couch, pushing my buttocks a little to the left so I can relax on the arm rest.

The open passage door allowed me the opportunity to hear a squeak inside, the sound of a door cringing a bit noisily as it's pushed open. I knew it was mum, finally sneaking out for something with the assumption that I might have gone to the shop. I knew locking herself indoors wouldn't last all day, for at most she must definitely need something outside of her room.

I smiled inwardly, falsely concentrating on the new episode of "I Am Frankie" series showing on Nickelodeon. I didn't need to see her before realizing how shocked she was to find me still seated in the sitting room.

In pretence, she walked past me into the kitchen. And I sprang up from the chair in hot pursuit.

"I have nothing to say to you" She said defensively as I walked in.

"you can't keep avoiding me mom" I countered. She kept mute as her hands rummaged through the upper cabinet in search of what I deemed inexistent.

"You're letting him win... I mean... "

"He's your father" She chipped in giving me a sharp glance.

"Sounds odd that I have to be reminded uh?" I said faking a smile. "In all, don't just let him do this to you."

She stopped. Head bent. Hands on the top layer of the down cabinet.

"We need you mom. We need all of you.... The real you!" I said calmly, fixing my gaze on her.

She gently nodded while carefully wiping her eyes with the back of her palm. And then turned to face me.

"I'm here. All of me." She answered breathing out heavily. Taking slow steps, I closed the distance between us and hugged her. Releasing her, I cupped her face in my palms.

"Mom, you've become a total shadow of yourself and I am sure it's because of his sudden and constant appearance in your life. I suggest you get a restraining order" I said with a heightened sincerity.

Mum's eyes twinkled, getting a lot bigger as my words sunk in. She was apparently in awe, maybe never expecting me to give such extreme suggestion. Then she dimmed them more quickly than I'd expected, carefully scrutinizing my expression, and in a supposed sheer satisfaction, her eyeballs brightened again.

"You know, I've never thought about that" She said, and I could have sworn seeing a spark of relieve wash over her eyes for a quick second. "I really need to get him off my back..."