Chapter Twenty Five

Uncle Stan's right hand was balled into a fist, his left palm bare. At each glance, he'd bump his fist into his palm, each bump sending shivers down my spine.

I was standing some feet away from them, my eyes already popping out from their sockets as I watched in horror at what was about to happen.

Dad took slow steps backward, trying to get away from my now fiercely looking uncle, but mum's brother wasn't having it as he takes quick few steps forward, covering up the gap between them.

"You dare lay your hands on my sister, Emeka?" He asked, a cocky smile playing out on his lips. He bumps his fist into his palm again. Another dreadful sound.
"Why don't you try it with me, or you don't have enough strength?"

"She's my wife and our family matter isn't your business." Dad smiled. "If she becomes too stubborn, I'll treat her the way wives of the old are treated, to get her to behave!" Dad was plainly unremorseful and that triggered uncle's anger the more.

Uncle threw a quick unguided punch which landed ceremoniously on my dad's chin, sending splatters of blood in the air. Dad launched forward, throwing a punch to his left which uncle was quick to dodge, he didn't relent and tried with his left hand and got my uncle pretty bad on his nose. It bled.

Footsteps were now running towards us, my ears could hear high pitched screams even though my body was in too much shock to react. I was watching my dad being punched like a wrestling bag.

At the sight of his blood, my uncle charges forward, throwing his right fist to my dad, and got his shoulder. He bent quickly to avoid a crazy punch from my dad and while lifting his head up, threw another to my dad's stomach, which had him clasping his hands on it. Dad's expression showed the blow was brutal.

Uncle smiled. "How does that feel Uh? Did my sister's wince in pain this much?" He charges forward again.

Dad kicked his right leg but uncle Stan caught it with his left which destabilizes dad and had him sprawling to the floor. Uncle charges towards where he fell, jumping on him and throwing another punch. He got his chin pretty hard.

Dad, still sprawled on the floor, launched a blow which landed on my uncle's ear. It was pretty wild. Holding unto each other, they wrestled with the interlocks.

Within seconds, the celebration ground turned into a confrontation ground. Everyone rushes over, even those who were already leaving made a U-turn. Which Nigerian doesn't appreciate a first hand wrestling competition?

"Please stop Stanley I beg you!" Mum pleaded with her brother, but he was too hurt to heed to it. The mere sight of mum's condition I believe, hurt him the more.

Young men who were apparently organised by Mr Daniel rushed over to separate them. The wrestlers didn't seem to want to end the fight, as they were still kicking and punching each other.

"You think because you became rich suddenly, no one can challenge you right?" Uncle thundered as he was being dragged off my dad. "When you came for my sister's hand in marriage, I told mum and my late dad that you were a braggart but no, mum especially was blinded by your supposed innocence. I studied you within minutes and knew you would graciously show us your arrogance when you begin to make little money." He jerked himself off his separators even though I could still feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins. His eyes darted to my mum whose palms were clasped on her lips. Uncle's rage was brewing again.

"Nneka my sister was blinded by her love for you and never listened to me. People thought I was jealous" He smirked. "Now look!" He barked dragging mum to his side. His hand running round her body. It was obvious he was in pain. He graciously pointed out mum's sore body to anyone who cared to listen and didn't hesitate for a second to tell them it was my dad's handiwork.

The confrontation answered most of my unending questions, especially about mum's family.

I've ever wondered if she had people that even loved her, and that can fight for her. But with what happened right now, it's clear to see uncle Stan decided to pull away from mum a little cos she didn't heed to his advice not to marry dad.

It was a poor opinion though, to me.

The young men dragged dad off the floor and I watched as he dusts the dirt off his white senator. He'd removed the larger one which serves as the 'Agbada', better for him cos it would have looked awkward watching him fight in such a heavy attire.

Uncle Stan stormed out of the compound still brewing with anger. No one could tell where he went to. At first mum was very relieved and tried cajoling her other siblings to relax. She explained to them what had happened even though it was glaring none of them was interested in her excuses.

Mum was most angry with aunty Tobi who she believed betrayed her trust. Her sister didn't care about the accusation, as according to her, she'd done what a true sister would do.

Half an hour later, Uncle Stan reappeared, flanked by two Policemen. Clearly, he'd gone to make a report at the station.

Watching the black uniformed men walk into our compound set every sensor in my body on alert. I was fidgeting, scared of what our home had become. All my life I haven't seen them this close to me, I'd only watched them on TV, or casually along the highway. I was extremely scared that I began to cry. How can such a happy ceremony turn into a scary one?

The police men were pretty much civil and tried resolving the tension amicably, but not until Uncle Stan spoke.
"That's my sister. That's his handiwork!" He was turning mum around who was still limping and holding onto her support stick.

The sight of my poor mum's condition made them a bit aggressive as they insisted that dad must be taken to the station, for a statement.

Our celebration had turned into a mighty family war, a war which I'm very much uncertain how the outcome would be. For the first time in all this, I supported mum's stand on this issue. For everything to be resolved amicably, but I guess, it was too late.

Without wasting more seconds, the police escorted my dad out of the compound. The sight of them walking away with my dad, as though he was a criminal made me more scared. Will he come back again? Will he return to us?

Aunty Mma carried Zara inside as we didn't want her to absorb such scenario in her innocent heart. She'd already begun to cry from the numerous screams and fights.

With the invitees going away in batches, gossiping and cussing under their breath, it left only aunty Mma, Zara, Fred (mum's  cousin)  and I in the compound.

Dad's entire family, miss Eby, Mr Daniel and some invitees went after the police in dad's stead while Uncle Stan, aunty Tobi and mum's other relatives went in her stead. I can't clearly say whose side mum's mum is on, but I'll bet it's with my dad.
*****

Hi darlings

So sorry I'm posting late. I've been trying to publish this since 6:38pm but the network is too poor, and it seems wattpad website is down or something. I had to retype with my phone. Sorry guys

But anyways, here it is.

So who won the second round? 😂

Kindly vote
Add to your reading list
Comment
Recommend
And share

Oh, we've made it to 3k reads with over 740 votes 👏 👏 Thanks for pushing it this far 😘

Good night people....

And dream of Emy 😜