Chapter Fifty Five

*Mma*

"You seem to be rubbing minds deeply with the HR these days" I teased walking into the room.

Nneka was laying on her stomach with her knees angled up to let her feet dance in the air. The bed shook mildly as her leg move back and forth mid air, an alluring smile playing on her lips. She smiled into her phone for a long second, spared me a quick glance before turning back to the blinking phone, and with a soft chuckle began typing on the keypad.

"I'm certain you're on with him!" I teased again jumping into the bed, laughing as I snuggled beside her. My weight and it's force shook the bed, tossing the phone around.

"Can't I just have fun in peace?"She asked laughing wittingly.

"Not until you accept.... "

"Accept what?" She asked turning to me fully.

"Mr. Ekeh"

Giving me a concocted glance, Nneka laughed heartily. "I have nothing with him Mma." She said, pausing to catch a breath. "He's been nice, I agree; and has been making me smile too. But that's all. You should know that"

"Shame!" I said loudly, my heart sour that she's taking forever to embrace him "He's a nice man"

"I agree Mma. He is."

So? What's keeping you? A man doesn't just come to make a woman smile Nne, he wants more than just making you smile.... "

"Sorry but he isn't getting more. I just want to be, can't you just let me be me?"

"Nne... "

"I'm not ready for a relationship, and I've made that very clear to him!"

"Oh!" I gasped. "He's even made his intention known?" I asked, my eyeballs almost falling off their socket. "And you couldn't let me know?"

"So you'd do what?" She retorted, arching her neck to glance at me. "To push me into accepting? Like you're doing now?"

"Nne, every man isn't like Emeka!"

"I disagree. All of them have that Emeka tendency" She replied sharply and I could see her once smiley face shrinking into an ugly mask.

"You're being unreasonable! Can't you just let...

"Can you let me be? Or do I have to leave the room for you?" Her tone was not welcoming, it wasn't the voice I was used to. I exhaled deeply and shook my head.

"No need. I'm already leaving" I said sliding out of the bed. "I'm sorry I brought it up".

She turned to her phone but this time not with a single smile. Angrily, she lifted it up and turned it face flat on the bed, killing off the mild light emanating from it. And slowly I walked away from the room.

*Mr. Ekeh*

She isn't ready for any new relationship and she made that very clear to me; but those words weren't what I was hoping for. She's calm, beautiful and has an amazing spirit. I was totally shocked when I realized she is a mother of four! Whoever her husband was, really lost a gem.

Initially, I thought making my way to her would be the easiest way of getting her to give me a chance, but right now, I've realized that I might have to go through her only friend, Chidimma.

I'd say Chidimma was happy when I explained my intentions, filling her up with the extent I've gone in wooing her friend; and from her expressions I'd assume she was disappointed Nneka was giving me a hard time. However, she thoughtfully explained to me her friend's struggles and the pains she'd passed through. I didn't need to walk in her shoes before understanding Nneka's situation. Being a widower myself, I'd say life hasn't been fair, but in all this I still believe that our pain when fused together, can produce an everlasting spark.