Chapter Thirty

"I'm Pregnant. Eby"

Those three words kept dangling in my eyes, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't just get them to bounce away. I couldn't blink, my heart wouldn't beat and for a long moment, I was a lifeless statue. The room became hot suddenly with the air feeling a lot dusty. I choked and coughed but even that couldn't kick-start my body.

As the news gradually settled in, I saw my life shattering before my very eyes, and wiping every little joy that was beginning to grow in it. I cried secretly and openly. Mum was shattered too; her hands shaking miserably as her eyes focused on the words displayed on her phone screen. Mum didn't know what to do and for the first time, I couldn't think of anything, any solution.

Tossing the phone on the table and pushing her laptop off her laps and onto the chair, mum sprang up and began pacing up and down the room, and for a split second I was worried she'd run mad.

Suddenly, she took quick steps to the table and slid her phone off it. I stood up to meet her but she wouldn't let me near, backing away from me with her left palm stretched out and ready to push me back. I stopped. And sat down.

Scrolling hurriedly through her phone, mum pressed a button and I heard the dial key beep. She then turned the speaker up.

"Nneka" I heard the elderly voice say. It was grandma, mum's mum. I was displeased that mum had called her again for I was certain she would never be of help, rather would add salt to injury.

"Mum, good day."

"Ehe... How are... "

"Mummy please no time for pleasantries, my world is falling apart" Mum said cutting her mum off.

"Hmm, what is it again?"

"The worst has happened mummy. That Jezebel, Ebere is pregnant"

"Don't listen to rumors Nneka, do you even heed to my advice at all?" Grandma asked. Her tone was high, depicting slight dissatisfaction. I could hear a slushy noise in her background which sounded like she was moving her feet for more comfort.

"Mummy this isn't rumour please. What do I do?" Mum asked, pausing to maybe give grandma room to speak but the other end was quiet too.

"Mummy are you there? Ebere told me herself, I just received her SMS and I'm going crazy mummy. The same home I'm struggling to protect is falling apart before my very eyes mummy please tell me what to do" Mum was crying now.

"You see Nneka" Grandma began in a rather angry tone. "This is what I was avoiding when I told you to study your circle and have a male child for your husband, but Mba (no) you saw it as the words of a foolish old woman" Grandma said blaming mum again but this time, mum wasn't having it.

"Can you ever be supportive for once in your life?" Mum screamed into the phone. "The only thing you're perfect in doing is creating more drama and tension in my life. You always find any tiny reason to blame me even when you know it's clearly not my fault, eh mama? Do you think I don't desire this male child everyone is talking about? Do you think I didn't want another child when it took me almost twelve years to have Zara after I had Ada? Eh mama? I don't even know why I called you!" She cried the more.

"I won't sugarcoat the truth from you, so it's better you begin to face your reality." Grandma was still angry. "If she has that child and it's a boy, Nneka your own would be over in that house! Listen, I'm dragging my ear wide enough for you o Nneka! If that child turns out to be a boy, that lady you called a Jezebel, a girlfriend and other names would automatically take over because she has a heir for your husband" She paused. "And believe me no matter how much Emeka claims to love you, he will value his son more than you and your daughters! Face the truth! Better start praying the child turns out to be a girl" Grandma added bluntly.